Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have read a few posts regarding the M38 carbine, the prices have been all over the place. Gunbroker prices are just ir-relevant at best. What is a "realistic" value for a 95% + condition gun? Mine is a 1943 (?) ....I think... Husqvarna in damn good condition, very good bluing, wood and un-threaded barrel. I purchased it for about $250.00 not long ago; what is a reasonable price for such a gun? It fires and functions beautifully, and I have no intention of selling; I saw in an older post production numbers showing a 85,000 to 90,000 unit production for these carbines; is this true? Opinions please.

·
Gold Bullet member
285 Posts
For what it is worth, my opinion is that you did well on the price. As with any 67 year old surplus rifle, condition and originality is everything. Having said that M38's these days are going for $350 to $500. Certainly, the high end would be for a carbine in original, un-refinished 95%+ condition with matching numbers and excellent bore with brass trajectory plaque still in place, IMHO. Oh, and with 1944 build date......

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, let me ask more, which is correct; threaded or un threaded muzzle ? Also, is the bent bolt handle correct for this gun? The guns shown on Gunbroker show any combination of barrel and bolt ; all of which claim to be original and correct. Is there any one thing that would show an arsenal overhaul; such as the threaded muzzle? Were the m38's made only by Husqvarna?

I felt happy with the price I paid and have been well pleased with the rifle, I suppose that I want to find out that I can do (did do) better than my retirement account !!!!!

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
Threaded or unthreaded....Both "correct".
Husqvarna M38's should have a bent bolt
M38's "cutdown" from M96.....Straight bolt. (Can be any year of production).
Arsenal markings are stamped into the wrist of the stock. If it shows a "crown" stamp over a letter,(or letters) it had major work done. IE: new barrel or receiver.
It will just show a "crown" if it passes through an arsenal for inspection.
HTH's
usrifle

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I checked the rifle when I got home, it is a 1941 husky with electro penciled striker and matching bolt. The wrist has a crown with no letters and the stock has the brass disc (can not read w/o reading glasses..... dammit) good to excellent bore and a medium brown stain on the stock.Other parts may or may not match, many , such as the trigger guard show a crown; however they do not concern me at this time as I do not intend to sell.

By the way, I was just reminded that when cleaning a Garand one should not place an open beer can under the gas port; tastes terrible !!!

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
The electro pencil is normal. Your looking for "Tilted" crown stampings in the metal parts of a Husqvarna M38.
Lol....Don't drink the "Garand" beer....But kudo's to you for having one. (The rifle). ; )
usrifle

·
Registered
374 Posts
Since we are asking values, how about this one. A 1900 Mauser Obie, two digit serial #, converted to M 38 specs. Walnut stock with some tiger stripe and more dings than I like, excellent metal. All matching and straight bolt handle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts