Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course we can't find any primers anywhere "but" if you can't get CCI 41's what can be used at as an alternate? Been told that CCI 400's are too soft for use in the AR rifles and cause slam fires. Anyone know from experience?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I've never used a "hard" primer in an AR and I have loaded and fired thousands of rounds without a slam fire. Total non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Specially I have used Federal, Winchester and CCIs without any problems.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
OK, so if your load was developed using the #41, you might want to try a "magnum" primer.
It might help you duplicate what you are used to from your load.
CCI has stated that the #41 is just their magnum primer in a different package, in that case it would be a "1 for 1" substitution.
As far as "standard" primers, like others have noted, before we were told that AR's needed special primers we all used regular primers.
Most probably still do, I know I do.
I bought a brick of #41's when they were introduced, noted no change in performance (or, at best, minimal change), used them up and went back to standards.

As with any change to your load formula, a reduction in powder is called for and work your way back up.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
I've never used a "hard" primer in an AR and I have loaded and fired thousands of rounds without a slam fire. Total non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Specially I have used Federal, Winchester and CCIs without any problems.
The primer cup material is the same for CCI #34 primers as with CCI 200 and Win LR primers. I don't use small rifle primers so I can't speak to that, although I doubt there is any difference regarding the cup metal.

The difference between a milspec primer and a standard rifle primer is shock sensitivity of the primer compound. In this regard, watch out for Federal primers. The Lee manual and other references warn against using Federal primers in primer tools with some sort of reservoir that automatically feeds the primer to the ram..

I did a little experiment with my Swedish AG42b Ljungman. The Ljungman's firing pin has a rebound spring.
I chambered loaded rounds with CCI #34, CCI 200 and Win LR primers. This was done by allowing the bolt carrier to close under its spring power. I did not fire these rounds; I then extracted them.
Every primer had an indention caused by the inertia of the firing pin. Each indentation was exactly the same size in depth and diameter.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have blown up a tray of Federal primers in my Lee 1000, and still have a scar on my finger tip to prove that warning is well warranted. However, I have primarily used Federals in my 223 loads for many years and have never had a slam fire or other problem.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,497 Posts
I have blown up a tray of Federal primers in my Lee 1000, and still have a scar on my finger tip to prove that warning is well warranted. However, I have primarily used Federals in my 223 loads for many years and have never had a slam fire or other problem.
The AR's bolt carrier design physically blocks the firing pin from protruding out of the bolt face if the bolt has not completely rotated to lock.

The potential danger is either a broken firing pin tip stuck in the bolt face, or dirt or debris on the bolt face.
A slam fire is when the round goes off after the bolt has closed and locked. This is not going to blow up the rifle, but will get you pulled off of the range firing line.

An out-of-battery fire is far more dangerous. This too can be caused by a damaged firing pin or debris on the bolt face. A correspondent described to me an incident he witnessed on his club range. An M1A had an OOB caused by a broken ejector that protruded into the primer of a round as it was being stripped out of the magazine.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,089 Posts
just use any Small Rifle primer,

I've used Winchester's for years, both the older nickel cups and the newer brass or non nickel cups and notice no difference,

I loaded thousands of rounds and shot them thru a few AR's in matches, and some thru a M16,

no issues
no drama

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
just use any Small Rifle primer,

I've used Winchester's for years, both the older nickel cups and the newer brass or non nickel cups and notice no difference,

I loaded thousands of rounds and shot them thru a few AR's in matches, and some thru a M16,

no issues
no drama
Same here and just make sure primers are truly seated as deep as they'll seat in primer pockets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.