Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Im looking to buy 303 ammo, I see that SOG has 2 kinds. What would yall say is the better, the ammo on stripper clips or the ammo that is cordite. Had my rifle for years and have shot maybe 50 rnds. Bought my first batch from JG Sales years ago, that stuff was no good, RL headstamp 1945, have about 200 rounds that wont go bang, so im looking for some good ammo.
Thanks yall

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Avoid the SOG "Greek" stuff at this point.
It is neither "Greek" nor worth a price premium IMHO.
Even if you settle for the "Kynoch" you'll get the brass is S&B, so you're not getting primo Brit ammo even then.

I started shooting Prvi Partizan exclusively a while back & have never regretted the decision.
Check "ammotogo.com" as they seem to have the best supply regularity & pricing & they are nice folks.

The 150 Gr isn't bad, but the 174Gr stuff will match your sight calibration better.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I bought 500 rounds on stripper clips expecting to get the British ammo they advertised, and got Kynoch. I was disappointed about that, and even though it is now much more expensive than it was even three years ago, its the cheapest ammo I can find, and to me its worth it for plinking. Some click...bangs, not accurate, and dirty...but still fun to shoot, and cheaper than anything else out there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sorted the ammo i got from JG, the RL was bad but the ammo marked K52 seemed to work just fine, does this sound about right. I dont know anything about surplus ammo.

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
My mistake. I was under the impression from another board that Kynock wasn't British. I guess in that case, I'm not disappointed with SOG. No, the ammo is great, and yes, its more expensive than it used to be, but it is what it is.
Kynoch (using the trade name Kynamco) IS a British company and is still manufacturing MKVII ammunition (Equivalent) and the old 215 grain stuff.
They do use S&B cases which is probably where the confusion comes from.

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
They do use S&B cases
How do we know that S&B cases are the only S&B components used?

I see nothing indicating that this isn't just re-branded S&B in Kynoch boxes!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
How do we know that S&B cases are the only S&B components used?

I see nothing indicating that this isn't just re-branded S&B in Kynoch boxes!
If they use S&B bullets or their 303 is just rebranded S&B, then I'd be inclined to check the bullets with a magnet. The S&B 303 bullets that I have come across have had steel jackets with a copper wash. Cheeky Monkeys!

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Things like that were what prompted me to ask.
Also those Balkans factories are well known for 2 things, good re-loadable ammo & re-branding of same.

I have Prvi Partizan from at least 3 "different brands" that is all utterly identical once removed from the box.:cross

1 - 12 of 12 Posts