Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
33,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently acquired a snowflake rifle, an Ithaca X5-T "Lightning". One of the more interesting bits is that the Ithaca Gun Company didn't develop a new front sight, but used the same one as their Model 37 shotgun. A metal base with a plastic "Raybar" insert made of either solid black plastic, or a translucent red. Unfortunately, mine had seen better days.

IMG_3989.jpg IMG_3988.jpg IMG_3987.jpg IMG_3984.jpg
"Before" photos. Note that the red is the real color (taken without a flash) and that the sight has a retaining button. This sight has perished.

The bad news is that Raybar was only used from 1959 to 1979 and that the company went out of business in the 1980s.

The good news is that Ithaca Gun Inc still sells brand-new replacement sights.

IMG_3996.JPG IMG_3993.JPG IMG_3992.JPG View attachment 1339041
The replacement sight

The parts manager at Ithaca said I might have to file down the bottom to get to fit. Nope, just had to depress the button to slide out the old sight, and slide in the new

IMG_3999.jpg IMG_3998.jpg
The new Raybar in the old sight base. Note the lack of screws and buttons, sight removal is NOT required though. I had originally removed the rear sight to get better photos, but ended up losing the small spring below the button.

These sights should work the same as on Model 37s.

·
Silver Bullet member
33,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The X5 and Deerslayers used the same sights

1 - 5 of 5 Posts