Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have also posted this to the MH Facebook Page but the post has to be approved.

Hi, Looking for some advice. Came across a Westley Richards 310 Cadet. It has the NZ markings, E^D and what looks like the sold out of service arrows (Darn should have taken pics) and also Drill Purpose markings. Seems in very nice condition Missing cleaning rod but a really shiny bore with really nice rifling. The downside is that the complete rear sight is missing including the base. It might be a fun project to clean up and hang on the wall but the availability and cost of a sight might make this a project not worth the time. The serial number 2186 might give a clue as to age but I have not researched yet. Any thoughts welcomed (located in Florida by the way) Thanks in advance

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Looks as if I could put one together with some work as they do have a couple more parts. Might take a bit of time but that is the fun. I am assuming that the sight base dimensions are the same as the Westley.

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like there is a difference in the width with some .55 wide and some .65 wide. Guess it's back to the shop on Monday to do some measuring.
Thanks so much for all your help. Uncharted territory for me but seems similar to the Martini Enfield .303 carbine I have

· Registered
3,473 Posts
The windage adjustable BSA sight is the second model......the first model had a ladder sight similar to the Greeners .......which I suspect is the base in the pic...........obviously the windage BSA sight is much better for use ,and Sportco often used them on SMLE sporters in 22Hornet and 222.........however ,if originality is important,then I suspect a WR sight will be hard to find.

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks John. With it being DP stamped I think this would be just a wall hanger so if the ladder type fits and looks the part it should do okay. It is the 2 widths that is throwing me. 310 is available at $70 for 30 rounds but again the DP puts me off any idea of shooting it. If my memory serves the Pawn Shop showed me this about a year ago and I think the sight issue put me off back then. However it might be a good bargaining tool.

· Registered
3,473 Posts
Check the gun for (especially) a drill hole in the barrel ...this tricky little wheeze has caused some difficulties in the past with NZ guns..........if the barrel is sound ,and the action checks out OK,I would have no concern at the DP stamping ...its likely because the gun was obsolete...........Id be allover it for that kind of price .........I use 32/20 cases in my Cadets .........no fancy Bertram prices for me.

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I decided to roll the dice and hit the pawn shop this morning, haggled a little and brought it home. Should be a fun little project to take apart and find a source for a rear sight. If it turns out to be a wall hanger then so be it.
Water Green Liquid Swimming pool Fluid
Tool Metal Fashion accessory Wood Font
Rectangle Font Electric blue Natural material Composite material
Brown Blue Wood Wood stain Font

· Registered
3,473 Posts
Looks to me as though someone has filed the barrel to fit a BSA windage sight...........there is no way a maker would do that .....they would either mill the barrel flat ,or dovetail a sight mount ........most likely neither,as a maker would fit a sight to the existing profile..............on consideration,it may be to fit a Martini Enfield sight ..............by the way,always remove the forend wood on NZ /DPs and check for a hole drilled in the barrel.

· Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks John, I have taken it down. The barrel and bore are perfect. No holes. So the Receiver, barrel, Trigger group, Breech Block, Lever and forearm wood are all matching numbers. When cleaning the patches were coming out like it had been fired in the not too distant past. The rear sight length is 1.42 so I wonder what was on it..
Green Wood Font Tool Metal

· Registered
3,473 Posts
There is no simple way to measure a radius,so you will have to compare sights by checking the fit .....alternatively ,organize a side mount sight for the reciever ,which can be done using only existing screw holes ......plenty of images online ........another alternative is one of the rear mount aperatures that actually mount on the wood ......screw holes in the wood ,of course.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts