Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been offered a 1915 westinghouse nagant for $600 AUD normal russian manufactured 91/30's go for between $400 and $600 in australia. metal is in great condition wood is a little rough

im thinking this is a good buy, but i know next to nothing about mosins

what are other people's thoughts?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
i tried to link pics of the rifle but didnt have any success

here is a link about westinghouse mosin nagants from wikipedia
U.S. Rifle, 7.62 mm, Model of 1916
Due to the desperate shortage of arms and the shortcomings of a still-developing domestic industry, the Russian government ordered 1.5 million M1891 infantry rifles from Remington Arms and another 1.8 million from New England Westinghouse in the United States. Some of these rifles were not delivered before the outbreak of the October Revolution and the subsequent signing of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk which ended hostilities between the Central Powers and Russia. When the Bolsheviks took over the Russian government, they defaulted on the Imperial Russian contracts with the American arsenals, with the result that New England Westinghouse and Remington were stuck with hundreds of thousands of Mosin Nagants. The US government bought up the remaining stocks, saving Remington and Westinghouse from bankruptcy.

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,355 Posts
Berserker,

Go to Mosinnagant.net, go to Russian rifles and then American Mosins. Check out what markings apply to the rifle you are interested in. If it is all matching Westinghouse and the bore is good, the price is cheap. An all matching, as in the markings, Westinghouse rifle in good condition here in the USA is a thousand dollar rifle or more in American dollars. Mosin Nagant is the model of the rifle, a Nagant is a Russian or Soviet revolver. That is what ij70 was tryin' to communicate.

Lancebear

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks lance bear i tried to upload pics but they didnt work the seller also had a remington m39 finish mosin nagant but i missed out of getting that one it was in perfect condition

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Norse ADHD:

You have just run afaul of the O.T.C.; Off Topic Constabulary. It is not politically-correct to call the Mosin-Nagant a "Nagant". That is reserved for the pistol. I have put the word out that I will pay 'tops' for any Nagant rifle, just so I can post it here and be so abused. All the best; and a matching Westinghouse will bring $600 USD in the States, if in better than average condition. This is a point upon which reasonable-men-of-good-will may disagree, but such folks are hard to find.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol forgive me guys i come from a lee enfield background where its ok to call them enfields - and i guess in australia where we abreviate things its common to call a mosin nagant a "nagant" or even a "mosin" - we have abreviations for everything even "sepos"

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
I'd love to see pics of a Remington barreled M39.

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,991 Posts
we abbreviate here, too. lots of folks call them mosins, just to tell the difference between the rifle and the nagant revolver. That isn't the real name, either. the official name for them is something like "three line rifle model of 1891." and that's probably not exact, I didn't write it in russian.
I've seen similar arguments in the enfield world about the "U.S. model of 1917" being called a P17.

On the NEW, there are 4, possibly 5 types of logo's on the barrel shank. Two of them are straight line logo's beneath the eagle with different heights to the letters. Two of the others have the "New England" part of the logo arched above the eagle. one is a low arch, one high. The last one is a rumored cyrillic letter logo, and as far as I know, no one has ever seen one.
The arched logo's are less common, with the low arch being the less common of the two.
NEW rifles in average condition that are marked from finland or other countries outside the U.S. usually bring 2-300 dollars here in the states. sometimes rifles pop up here in the states that never left the states or were U.S. army property marked. Some of these are original matching and command high dollars.

If you are familiar with Vulch on the enfield board, he may be more aware of values in australia on these. IIRC, he posted a NEW mosin that he bought down there a few months ago.

too bad about the reminton barrel m39. That would have been a great score on a VERY uncommon rifle.
y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Picky Picky. Why not just correct the nomenclature and say it should be properly called a moisen nagant instead of beating someone over the head with terminology.

My Westinghouse must have made it over there because it appears "comrade" tried to obliterate the imperial eagle with a pin punch. (but you can still make it out)

·
Registered
479 Posts
to compare ,i had a very good remington rifle and sold it for 750 australian bucks,you see them fairly often in OZ but they are usually fairy beat up(mine was also finnish marked and stocked)thinking back i sold it too cheap!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
to compare ,i had a very good remington rifle and sold it for 750 australian bucks,you see them fairly often in OZ but they are usually fairy beat up(mine was also finnish marked and stocked)thinking back i sold it too cheap!!
I find it hard to believe a NEW is worth $700.00 US! As I remember $225.00 was pricy for an excellent one.
Subvet

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the milsurp market in australia is crazy atm. about a year ago an average P14 was selling for $1200 that was pretty reflective of the market, they seem to have gone down a bit now

nobody seems to know what rifles are worth - some prices are crazy some are reasonable but there doesnt seem to be an upper and lower range

russian manufacture moison nagants seem to gor for between $500 and $1500 for average specimens, and as this is going to be my first mosin nagant i don't know what a NEW is worth, its the only one ive ever heard of for sale here

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
To slightly elaborate on what Lancebear have already wrote.

Mosin-Nagant rifle is called that way because it has an action designed by a chap whose last name is Mosin and it has magazine designed by chaps whose names are Nagant.

Russian government rejected Nagant rifle. Fast forward 25 years. Russian government contracts New England Westinghouse to make rifles for them. Since Russian government rejected Nagant rifle, the New England Westinghouse did not make Nagant rifle for Russian government. Therefore, whatever you were looking at, it is not Nagant rifle.
Now ij70 jumps on a new member, pointing out that New England Westinghouse never made a Nagant rifle, but then he screws up by telling him that the Russian government contracts New England Westinghouse to make rifles for them.
ij70, the Russian government contracted an English Co. to have rifles made and it was that English Co. that contracted New England Westinghouse and Remington to build the rifles. That is why they are called English contract rifles.
And here is the English contract stamp on a New England Westinghouse rifle.

And here is the rest of my all matching New England Westinghouse rifle.

Yes, that is six US Property stamps on the barrel shank.

The sights still have the original paint in the numbers and there is still cosmoline on the rifle.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
Now ij70 jumps on a new member, pointing out that New England Westinghouse never made a Nagant rifle, but then he screws up by telling him that the Russian government contracts New England Westinghouse to make rifles for them.
ij70, the Russian government contracted an English Co. to have rifles made and it was that English Co. that contracted New England Westinghouse and Remington to build the rifles. That is why they are called English contract rifles.
And here is the English contract stamp on a New England Westinghouse rifle.

And here is the rest of my all matching New England Westinghouse rifle.

Yes, that is six US Property stamps on the barrel shank.

The sights still have the original paint in the numbers and there is still cosmoline on the rifle.

That is very nice U.S. Rifle, Model 1916.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.