Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though I live only an hour and fifteen minutes away, today was my first trip to the CMP South store. I called yesterday and the guy said they would definitely have a batch of field grade Springfield M1's. I got there 20 minutes before they opened and was 5th in line. The "regulars" and the people who work there were very helpful. There were about 25 field grades and no service grade Springfields, which is what I really wanted. There were 5 service grade IHC's, quite a few snipers, and loads of drill rifles. I did notice one six digit ser#, but it had issues. I narrowed my choice to 2 1943 Springfields. One was rebarreled in 1946 with a so-so wartime replacement stock (RA), but had a TE of 3 and an ME of 1. The other had a pretty nice HRA replacement stock but an ME of 2+ and TE of 3+, with a 1944 barrel. Leon the older guy who works there helped me decide on the one with good numbers and so-so stock. It was $525 + 10% tax, because I live in the state. I was very happy with it. Also got a 1943 bayonet with scabbard packed in grease for $65, 200 rds of brass cased, boxer primed, noncorrosive Greek surplus ammo loose in a can, original sling, and a box of clips. All in all it was $803 out the door. I met some very nice people from all over the country, and again their staff is great. I took some pics after I got home and cleaned it up. There are some small OD green paint smudges on the stock that I didn't notice at the store. I will see if Goof Off will take it off without hurting the finish. There were about 10 Springfield field grades left when I finished up. There was plenty of different kinds of 30-06 ammo, barrels, recievers, 10 inch and 16 inch bayos with scabbards. The 16 inch were $175. I had a great time and brought home a WWII M1 Garand. Check out the pics and let me know what you think. Joe
https://www.flickr.com/photos/caballero2/sets/72157644849578528/

·
Registered
532 Posts
Talk about being green with envy. I'd be broke if I lived that close to either CMP store. Just spent a good 10 minutes drooling through your photo album! Great job photographing your experience.. It kind of let me love vicariously through yours! Lol!

Beautiful rifle, looking forward to seeing how she shoots. I've got a 1944 SA myself.. There's just something about WWII Garands that make them stand out!

Again, great photos, and beautiful rifle! Thanks for sharing!

M1 Garand: late '44 Springfield
1903A3: Early '43 Remington

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The parts that I knew to look for are all SA stamped. Safety, hammer, trigger group, receiver, bolt, barrel, op rod. Of course the stock is not, also a regular at the CMP said the front sight looked like a Winchester. I wouldn't know. We are taking it to the range Sunday.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
I would group the ammo by headstamps before I used it, if you want reasonable groups. Shooting random ammo will give random POIs. Pre-1954 dates on US ammo would be worth setting aside. There are probably others that the knowing will let you know about.

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Sometimes wonder about this horror of shooting corrosive primed ammo. When they ISSUED me an M1, after a day on the range we field stripped them, then took them to the latrine and ran hot water down the bore to flush out the primer salts followed by "ye olde bore cleaner" and the usual cloth patches

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Sometimes wonder about this horror of shooting corrosive primed ammo. When they ISSUED me an M1, after a day on the range we field stripped them, then took them to the latrine and ran hot water down the bore to flush out the primer salts followed by "ye olde bore cleaner" and the usual cloth patches
Thats the best way to clean corrosive ammo, hot water
Absolutly nothing wrong with using it but you really should do a complete tear down and clean which only accelerates wear and accuracy. Diffence is we are babying our rifles because Uncle Sam wont give us another when we wear one out

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brad the Harvesters were service grade and were beautiful weapons. Their muzzle and throat numbers on the average was 3's and 4's. There is a definite difference in the grades. Only, maybe 2 people seriously looked at them. Most people were going for the SA's because of their history in WWII. I don't know if I'll ever make it back to CMP so I went with history over looks and a little lesser known history. IHC is a definite option if go back. Just had to get an SA when I had the opportunity. Also mine had a ME of 1 so it will still be around when I'm gone. I wish I had taken a couple of photos of the IHC's they were really nice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I live about 3 hours away. I really like your very low serial number one. I'd was shooting for one that low but I got a 1944 and it's still technically WWII so I'm real happy. It's always a roll of the dice what they have every week. Some of the "regulars" can be disgusting. One guy there after I tried my best to get there as early as possible, had about 6 SA's off to the side and only left 2 on the rack. He was representing other people that paid him to buy one and when it was all said and done he bought like 12 of them.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Some of the "regulars" can be disgusting. One guy there after I tried my best to get there as early as possible, had about 6 SA's off to the side and only left 2 on the rack. He was representing other people that paid him to buy one and when it was all said and done he bought like 12 of them.
So whats wrong with that?? There are a few guys that do a "service" for people that live to far away from one of the stores. They send him their paperwork and payment info, he picks out the rifles and then once the NICS checks are done the rifles are shipped to the buyers. Absolutly nothing shady going on, its all legit

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
So whats wrong with that?? There are a few guys that do a "service" for people that live to far away from one of the stores. They send him their paperwork and payment info, he picks out the rifles and then once the NICS checks are done the rifles are shipped to the buyers. Absolutly nothing shady going on, its all legit
Not true Orlando - the " service providers " are not buying them for their own use - clearly buying them for resale, whether making a profit or not. Not good.....

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
OK, here we go again.
Say I cant get to a store as I live to far away but I want someone to hand pick me a rifle that lives close. I send him my paperwork and payment info, he picks out the rifle, turns in my paperwork, CMP runs NICS check thenthe rifle is sent to me by CMP. The service providers are not leaving the store with the rifle, they are not reselling them
I happens all the time, there are a couple of guys on the CMP forum that do this service. They are not buying them for resale, rifles do not leave with them. Its no different than sending in your paperwork directly to CMP except this way you get a hand picked rifle
I live in Ohio but didnt have the time to make a run to the North Store. I had a guy do the exact same thing for me

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.