Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cabelas just had a promo for 10% off if you ordered online for free store delivery. Of course I bit like a sucker and ordered a box of .454” round lead balls to mess around with. Once there, of course I had to see what they had.
Long story short, I walked out with a nice DWM 1908 Brazilian 7x57mm. They had two, but the other was far more worn. This one has strawing in nice shape in all the spots where it’s supposed to, the screws are nice and crisp, nice deep stamps and markings, VG bore with a hint of darkness but otherwise sharp. Bolt m/m… but as they say on gunbroker “bolt matches itself”(the rifle also matches itself). $349.
Revolver Trigger Air gun Bumper Office equipment
Bicycle part Trigger Auto part Air gun Bumper
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Gas Audio equipment
Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood stain
Finger Wood Gadget Auto part Wrist
Wood Material property Wood stain Varnish Door
Wood Material property Automotive exterior Gas Varnish
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Revolver

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's funny what Cabelas will sell for around market or below market value, then they mark run of the mill Turkish 98s for $800 and want $600 for Carcano carbines being imported and sold for $250 online.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's funny what Cabelas will sell for around market or below market value, then they mark run of the mill Turkish 98s for $800 and want $600 for Carcano carbines being imported and sold for $250 online.
It really is weird how they price things. About a month ago I picked up a VG condition Eddystone produced US M1917 rifle at my local Cabela’s. Price was $399 out the door since we no longer have sales tax on guns/ammo in WV. I felt like I stole it at that price.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
There is a Cabela’s about an hour and a half south of me that I find myself in every few years. Almost 15 years ago I closely examined a JP Sauer rifle there. They had a ridiculous high price on it. I was there 2 or 3 years ago and it was still there.

If they have deals, I have never seen one. As previously mentioned they have guns that can be bought anywhere else for 1/2 to a 1/3.

You got a nice rifle for a good price, in today’s market, probably better market.

Personally I really like the Brazilian Mauser and hope that someday someone does as good of a job with a book on them like Webster did on the Argentine Mauser.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Heckuva score for matching metal. I have 3 and all are super slick actions. You will enjoy it.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I agree that cabelas is typically well above market, but every now and then the local one has legitimately good prices on one-offs - just nothing I’m really in to. The guys in the gun library here are pretty chill too, so that may be a part of it.
This 1908 is definitely a score for me. I’ve been reloading 7x57 for rolling blocks for about a year now, and have a Ven. FN49 and FN1930, so this Brazilian has a natural spot.
I appreciate your comments !

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
20,186 Posts
Any decent Mauser for tree-fiddy is worth it.

Is that gold wash in the crest? If so, it is not the first.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any decent Mauser for tree-fiddy is worth it.

Is that gold wash in the crest? If so, it is not the first.
Good eye! Yes, I believe it is. Noticed it more just after I took the pics and have spent some time ogling it. Definitely not an amateur attempt at highlighting it.
Tonight we go to the range

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
My 1908 also had gold wash in the crest. I sold it (all matching) for 400 last May. It wasn't quite as nice as yours. Did you check the serial number on the bolt of the other one just in case some idjut switched them before putting them on display?
Dan

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
20,186 Posts
Glad to hear of more Brazilian guns with gold inlay. When I presented mine five or six years ago, I did not hear of any others.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I bought mine about three years ago from an FFL dealer going out of business.
Dan

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A mad 30 minutes before the range closed, it functioned as expected. I know now where to correct, but there’s something to be said of consistency here 😂
Ammo used FN 1979 and CAVIM 1983 milsurp, FMJ 145 grain reloads, and a single PRVI soft point. What a spectacular caliber this is.
Nose Hairstyle Facial expression Vertebrate Font
White Light Black Orange Art

1 - 17 of 17 Posts