Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled down the fold-up ladder to my storage in the garage and went up a few feet and then BAMB the lower 1 and 1/2 foot of the ladder gave way on one side.Of course I had some stuff on my right hand and was stepping up when this happened,and no one else home.I saw all my guns flying in my mind out to you guys for $50.00 each,but alas I saved myself by jumping off backwards and ditching the stuff on the way down.SOOO I'm on my way to fix the ladder,tool room near the puter.
WHEW Roy

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
I pulled down the fold-up ladder to my storage in the garage and went up a few feet and then BAMB the lower 1 and 1/2 foot of the ladder gave way on one side.Of course I had some stuff on my right hand and was stepping up when this happened,and no one else home.I saw all my guns flying in my mind out to you guys for $50.00 each,but alas I saved myself by jumping off backwards and ditching the stuff on the way down.SOOO I'm on my way to fix the ladder,tool room near the puter.
WHEW Roy
Ouch. Are you o.k.? Sounds like a ripe opportunity for a sprained ankle. I think you got lucky!

Poot

·
Diamond Member
1,174 Posts
Glad you made it!

Wow, that sounds like a few new guns via a suit aganst the ladder people to me! That aside, I very glad you wern't hurt!

·
Registered
149 Posts
lol

i always joke to my buddy that he needs to watch what he eats or ill be tearfully shooting his ammo at the range, sobbing "He would have wanted it this way.."

·
Registered
683 Posts
Maybe you should sell them to us for $75 and buy yourself a present for being lucky! :^) Glad you're o.k. though.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
11,160 Posts
Those fold down ladders that come with homes are killers, they are not very strong and any twist will cause them to fail. Years ago at a attic fire I took a 1 3/4" line up one and when I was at the top (where the plywood is nailed to the back and you only have the width of the step to place your toes) and opened the line the flow pushed me off the ladder & I wound up on the garage floor.

Wound up with a splint for 4 weeks after that one.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm OK nothing hurts yet,but being 57,I'm sure tonight may be a bit different.With that being said I put 2 screws thru the (metal pieces(one slides into the other))And went up again,and lo and behold one of the screws snapped in half,well now the old Heart was in the back of my head(pounding)So now the ladder is all folded up into the ceiling(never to be touched again,until duty rated screws are installed.Or do I send the Wife up? HUMMM NO I won't do that,at least not yet!I have now decided to cut the grass a much safer endevor for now.
Thanks All for your concern.Roy

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,773 Posts
Check on the insurance on the wife, and then send her up.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check on the insurance on the wife, and then send her up.
None,But she does work
We have been retired for 7 years,I worked part time for 5 years,after 1 year off,she is working part time now.
It keeps peace between us,if one works!!LOL

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
Well you almost had a chance at my collection!

Get some long, thin rods and tap on both ends and install them under each step (with washers and a nut on either end) and your ladder will be much stronger. Mine came that way years ago....HTH..

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hmmmm

Love the memory: momentary feeling of weightlessness as the ladder slid away, while I had one foot on the roof. Eight feet up and falling fast!!
Broke my back (three transverse processees) but twisted away from the bench below in time so I didnt break my neck. 13 years ago next month!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts