Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The final test. Got a 102.5 out of 114. Had to get at least a 94/114.......So, I am graduating in 13 days now.........dang.......heart beeting out of my chest.....going to have a few beers now with my friends at my house. Will not get drunk for by diabetes, but will relax and probably go canoeing monday......

But after 9 years I am done.

Finally.....

·
Silver Bullet member
55,186 Posts
very good fellow teacher :thumbsup: but-------after you get the job, the true stress begains for 30 + years. ;)
but its mostly worth it and i still love teaching! :clap:<><dk

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,613 Posts
The difference can be signficant. Your stand on principle with the governor's wife got you cross-ways with the principal (who doesn't seem, the memnonic to the contrary, a "pal" this time)....

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
I'm happy he passed the test, hope he gets a job real soon, but how does this thread have anything to do with RKBA? I posted a few articles about what is happening in AZ w/r/t the new law and those got killed. At least they have to do with the fight to restore America.

But this?

·
Silver Bullet member
55,186 Posts
don't know about the premise of your paper?-- but here's a thought: fellow teacher!:thumbsup:
America was built on the backs / minds- working-thinking abilities of foreigners. coming to a free thinking society that appreciated knowledgeable ideas and promised a chance of free expression.
my grandparents etc. our inventors from many countries and back grounds. by escaping the suppression of free thought- of class struggles and of all types restrictions- the poor- different in race- religion and this became the new growth, the "grass roots of progress" before the 1900's and to present.:thumbsup:
they brought ideals and experimenting theories that made us one of the greats industrial nations in the world in all fields. all credit given to a better modern society's comforts.:thumbsup:
just look through the patent office / scientific fields/ medical fields/ industrial fields / teaching fields -- the last family names, maiden names/and see the changes we then wished to absorb.:thumbsup:
restrictions the struggles to even get a pass port now has lead to the illegal crossings- to progress taken to other place in countries that want these foreigners that use to come here.:eek:
the news media spouting hate, causing mis-leading thoughts through emotional presentations leading most to not interject the "real history of progress" through immigration--.:thumbsup:
this leaves me wondering if we are not cutting our own progress more than the problems of illegal aliens draining a "thoughtless" bankrupt system that needs new ideas and change of this nature. :confused:
so passing the test is great but passing on knowledge like this leads to greatness. congratulations again<><dk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Good luck teaching. It has to be one of the most PC jobs on Earth or at least in my end of the Earth. I taught Senior High level science for five years.As I had 30 years in the local government they credited me for the years and paid accordingly. This was good but be aware of the Peter principle. I was admonsished because "my vocabulary was to good"! We (collegues) believe getting top or "Excellent" levels on the Praxis II threatens them.No joke, older teachers are often hounded out of the system because they cost the system too much, tend to be old school and expect a modicum of work and discipline from the students. When I left, after a round with a cutesy-trendy,E-gadget brained, jock principal who referred to Marines as the "Marine Corpse", I sent all a 140 page (singe spaced) journal outlining my experiances. I "loved" the section covering a final in which 14 of 48 students missed the multiple choicequestion (asked four other time in the semester): The large ocean of the coast of North Carolina is? . (I left the map on the wall!)

Most "standard" classes were taught on the fifth grade level. Most of the kids had never seen a prism, compass, or even Honeysuckle. Very few could grasp the half-life of a radioisotope etc.

Oh well, now I am trying to get my blood pressure down and am being a really good (my life's calling) Grandfather.Please do not fall in with the lowest common denominator. This will drain your soul. Stand firm and savor the victories. I still have more ex-students in prison than in college but the trend is getting better as the kids grow up. Take heart and also give some time to home schoolers as they are the hope of society. ...Skip

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, I am going into a very troubled social program basically. I am applying for my first teaching position tommarow, and sending off for my teaching license next tuesday, will get that this summer. But, I just don't have much faith in landing my first teaching job anytime soon.......

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, what a feeling. Applied for my first job online now...At my old high school. Sent the prinicpal an email, as he told me to come to him first when I graduated. That was 1.5 years ago....There is ONE position open in this school system, and frankly I do not believe I will get it. But, every interview is a learning experience....

Man, just makes me feel nervous....

·
Silver Bullet member
12,903 Posts
just be humble, don't go in thinking you're the best/smartest history teacher to ever graduate, you're not. you're there to learn also. get your foot in the door, and good luck. Skip, yep, i can't imagine this country being run/guided by public school graduates in 50 years, scary thought.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Good luck with the new career. Hope you find a good district to work with.
My daughter is in Texas now, working toward her permanent certification.
Graduated two years ago, and had a bad start in the Phoenix area. Got handed an "advanced" math class, turns out they where at least two years behind.
Then one of the little darlings took exception to a bad grade, came at her with a small knife. Well she's not one to take that kind of thing, but "hurt his wrist" disarming him.
Ended with her being let go. Before she got out of the area, her car was vandalized, and a rock thrown at her apartment window.
Looks like Texas is going to work out much better, the kids there want some time with her car in the High School paint shop.
Oh, and she still hasn't given me the name of the kid in Phoenix, although that might be just as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.