Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has a Husky 96 Sporter with the solid side wall receiver in 9.3x62? What do you think of it? Does it beat you to the ground when you shoot it or is it fun to shoot like the 96's in 9.3x57?

I may be purchasing one and was wondering about recoil.

Smokepole50

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
HVA Model 649 - 9.3x62mm

I've got a Model 649 and the recoil is healthy, but not overwhelming. However, I restocked it into a Bell & Carlson synthetic which may explain the more tolerable recoil. Cartridge feeding is sometimes balky in mine. Accuracy is fantastic for a medium bore rifle.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I wonder...

Recoil is a weird phenomenon...

I have a 5 1/2 lb 9.3x57 model 146 that is very comfy to shoot and everyone who shoots it agrees. I just sold my solid-wall 96 8x57 beccause it was just plain uncomfortable to shoot.

For some reason though, I find the 8x57 cartridge kicks harder than some others that are quite a bit bigger. Heck, even my .375 H&H Magnum doesn't bother me as much as that sw 8x57 did.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Recoil of the 9.3X62

To start, I must make the following comparison;
The model 649 is quite light; with a moderate load of 286 grains bullet, the felt recoil might be quite the same as with a heavy Remington 373H&H w/ 300 grains bullet.
Personally, I am using the rifle as is; just the plastic recoil pad, no rubber. Without a shoulder shield, you wont shoot much more than 5-10 rounds in that situation. With a good shoulder pad, you can shoot a morning long (depending of your aptitudes to handle moderate high recoil).
With a good recoil pad, it's very pleasant to shoot.

Lee,
I know what you mean about the 8X57, but I have the impression that it's because of the stock design (in my case, anyways); the barrel just kick (lift) after each shot. I got exactly the same result last week with a friend's rifle; it was a Browning Medallion in 300 WSM... funny....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New to me 9.3x62

Well it turned out to be a 98 action, solid side wall 9.3x62 in a Beech stock. Some Prvi ammo has been ordered so I guess I better fix the small crack in the stock just behind the tang. I gotta feeling this gun is going to be a hunting gun, carried much and shot little but then again, that is what it was made to be. I have not weighted it but I would be surprised if it was over 7 lbs. I bet it's gonna be right there in the recoil range of my Ruger in .338 Win Mag.

Smokepole50

1 - 6 of 6 Posts