Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jeez, it's nice to get these puppies home. I have some crappy pictures that I won't bore you with. When I got there they had the big green crate these rifles come in so I bought it as well for $50. I don't know if they had the matching bayonet for the clean one or not, they just gave me two and said here ya go...

Here's the clean one. It's a '43 and looks new:

Both of them:

Bayonets:

Oh, and I just noticed a tiny little box imprinted next to the serial number. There are two letters in it S and A. Probably stands for standard arms or something, I dunno:

Hard to see in the photos. Everything matches except the bolt, probably because this was a sniper rifle and someone swiped the original...

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
The "SA" is a dealer import code meaning "Send Away", so just put it in the brown box addressed to me...

You seem to have a recapture - captured by the Finns and stamped as Finn Army issue (as a sniper, you said?), then recaptured
or surrendered to the Reds and refurbed by them postwar (welding up the scope mount holes), then sold to the US, probably from Ukraine.

(The red paint or wax on the bayonet numbers is interesting if it came that way - we see that on some sights and serial numbers on rifles but don't know why.)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
Nice haul!!...glad your first Mosin purchases have been such good ones!!...

...now, enjoy getting all the cosmo outta that refurb'd Mosin...

...oh, yeah...if you can, take a few pics of your barrel shank and receiver markings for us!!...we LOVE pics with markings in them!!... :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.