Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I understand, many of the members have restored ex-snipers and successfully removed the welded screws and freed up the locating pin holes.
Removing screws that are not welded is not difficult and that is what I have done, but never tried welded one... and yes, I know, better let a pro do it :).
Now asking the pros out there, would you please share the technique, maybe post some pictures to go along.

Thank you.

P.S. This could become a great sticky, maybe there is one already and I haven't seen it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
when drilling out the screws and pins i start with the ones i can get to from the inside of the receiver.there are usually hard spots in the weld so i usually use carbide center drill and carbide drills.the center drill is stiff and will not walk around.it will let you start the hole close to the center of the screw.then i drill with a 1/8" drill through the screw.i usually work up the drill hole in stages since the hole is a little out of center and you just want the hole big enough to break into the screw hole thread.then you can use a punch to peel away the remainder of the screw from the hole.the 6x.75 mm or 6x.50 mm thread uses a 5mm tap hole.you can use a number drill that is like .196" diameter.the pins are also 5mm diameter.when tapping the hole out start from the inside to get the tap started in the old thread.use a tapping fluid like Tapmagic.take it real easy as you get to the outside surface.the hard spots can be so hard that the tap will not cut.i have had to anneal the area around the hole to get the tape to cut.once you get the hole tapped out use the base to locate the screw location that is hidden.i use a hardened bushing in the screw head counter bore with a 1/8" hole.i drill a pilot hole with a 1/8 carbide drill.then the .196" tap hole.i made the drill bushing from drill rod.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

Thanks a lot for the instructions. I actually managed to take out one from my PEM without damaging the thread. Now, I need to wait until I get the mount. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts