Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
The 9mm is made that way. It is a two piece case with the rear section being one material while the front is something else. Oddball way of making cases but the manufacturer claims they're better, of course.

Frank

·
Registered
323 Posts
Some old Berdan primed 7.62x53R cases have only one flash hole of the usual two. I have also seen some with no flash holes and a few Soviet era brass shotgun shells with two or one of the usual three flash holes. But I have never seen those two-piece 9mm's. My weirdest finds on the range last year were a .450 Martini-Henry case and a 9mm Luger fired in a "rifled" chamber (a hyped-up Makarov).

·
Registered
27,992 Posts
Picked up some mixed cases at the local range a few years back to use for reloading practice ammo. As I was depriming them, my depriming tool suddenly hit solid and stopped (thank goodness it was a Lee Universal Depriming Tool so the pin slid up instead of bending or breaking).

When I inspected the case, I discovered it was Chinese(?). I then used a thin punch to knock the primer out. The flash hole was visibly smaller than standard so the ChiCom ammo must use VERY hot primers. The primer pocket was standard size, however.

A quick reaming with the appropriate sized drill bit solved the problem.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
The literature provided in the links above indicated that these cases were magnetic.
The photo of the Sig case shows that the case head is steel and the body is brass, the presumption is that the design is the same.
So far, so good but I fail to to see the perceived advantage for standard, garden variety calibers though.
In the proposed 6.8mm round the chamber pressure is reported to be abnormally high, in this example this type of case design might prove to be necessary.
The steel case head might also help in running the cartridge through a hyper speed machine gun of an, as yet, unknown design or, maybe, just through a minigun.
I wonder how the steel case head will help with the issue of primer separation though, that problem has been with us in those guns from the early days.
Crimping the primer cup has been the solution (imperfect but better than nothing) so far, the same could be done here.
I dislike (insert stronger language with expletives here) dealing with crimped primers on all brass cases, I seriously doubt I will like it any better on steel headed cases.

It is doubtful, to me, as to what advantage will be gained in applying this tech to standard pistol caliber ammo.
I do not see the introduction of a hyper velocity 9mm pistol cartridge that shares the same case dimensions as a standard velocity round as a very good idea.
For historical reference on this, see the problems encountered with the introduction of the .38 Super after there were already several guns on the market chambered in .38ACP.
From a military viewpoint the logistics alone would be a nightmare, never mind the other, more dangerous, complications.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts