Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few quick questions:

1. They (the late Ludwig Olson & Fred Reigle) state the example they used - a Gew. 98 - was stamped "Bl. G" over "Sch. J". My rifle is marked "N" over "Bl. G" over "Sch. H". (see pic 1)

What does the "N / Bl. G / Sch. H" represent?

2. Their example is marked on the underside of the barrel with land, groove and twist ("7,83,8,15 380.")

My rifle is marked "156,14" {approx 6.1 inch} see pic 2 and 3. What does this represent?

3. Does anyone here know Mr. Reigle, or know if he visits these forums.

Thanx for any info,

j

PS - until I read this article I didn't realize my rifle wasn't assembled until 1924 .... now i may have to let it go ;)

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bad, the article states:

Bl. G = Blei Geschoss = lead bullet

Sch. J = Scheibe Hulse = target case

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Great that the Rifleman had the article right after I bought one. The number on the bottom of your barrel (156,14) is not in the location of the bore numbers on mine. I also have a number simular to yours at 6 o'clock on the chamber but the bore numbers are at 8 o' clock, looking from the back, and is 7,7 8,05 and 360 the same as the article. I have no idea what the other number is telling us. Also the stock is numbered in the barrel channel with the serial number. Interesting that while the article was about several different types they never said that they shot one. Stated that they should be accurate but never fired one I guess. I love shooting it and with 22 grains of Reloader #7 with a Lyman 171 grain cast bullet. It was easy to get on target (gongs) and a blast to shoot at 150 and 200 yards. Now I need to get serious and try paper.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
John,
I know Fred, and in fact just spoke to him this morning. Call me when you have a minute. This article was the last one written by Lud Olsen before his death last a year ago.

As the article noted, those strange numbers (as in Tennessee Long Hunter's rifle) are usually 1) the diameter of the barrel, grove-to-groove, 2) the diameter land-to-land, and 3) the length of the barrel needed to complete one full twist of rifling.
Regards,
John

·
Registered
38 Posts
She found a nice home.

I thought I recognized the serial number when I read the article. I found it on a sales rack of all places and almost walked by it thinking it was a Turk. the Mauser Banner on the stock caught my eye.

ForrB98k

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
too cool! More pics please, especially the banner cartouche.

Great find!

j

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Mauser Banner 98 repeater "Wehrmannsgewehr" (Military training rifle) in 8.15x46R. The rifle must have been a GI bring back because it was duffle bag cut under the swivel band. I had it expertly repaired and is not noticeable now. The metal is as new with the original prewar Mauser commercial blue finish. The rear sight is windage adjustable and has 100, 175, and 300 meter settings. Commercial proofed and serial #1219xx. Stock is walnut and has some very minor handling marks. No import marks. Magazine has follower and spring. All numbers match including stock serial numbered to receiver in the barrel channel. Early flat steel buttplate. A very
nice example of prewar Mauser quality workmanship. Would not sell for $1000...::

·
Registered
680 Posts
These are amazing rifles. Wish the photos on this thread were still there. I've got a T.ST.V 8.15x46R Wehrmannsgewehr and wouldn't part with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts