Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or neither?
Thoughts on what this barrel or rear sight was originally installed on?

Belgian made(likely FN) and proofed 7mm barrel.

23" OAL

Rear sight has been modified with a later(?)slider.
Marked for 100, 175 & 300 yards.
The slider is from a 98k and does not appear to be correct, as it does not fit into the notch at its lowest setting.

Bore is bright. Throat looks very good. Some fouling or light frosting in grooves.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The front sight is obviously a US Lyman replacement.

I forget off the top of my head the BLINDEE marking, but I have seen that several times. Will look at my notes.

The Venezualian barrel should be 740mm if my memory serves correctly. 29.13"

To me, I would say that is a made up barrel, someone wanted a target barrel. The sight does appear to be a Wehrmannsgewehr sight though.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.
With that information (and the other thread on Wehrmanngewehr rifle) I had the search terms to come to the same conclusion.
Wonder which is more valuble, the barrel or sight?

John Wall says this about 'B. Blindee'.

"B. Blindee" is itself a "Belgian proofmark" used by the Liege Proof House to indicate obligatory definitive barrel proofing for rifled shoulder arms. This proof test consists of the firing of a 30% excess pressure cartridge, followed by to standard commercial or service cartridges. It is used in combination with the Liege "perron" marks and the mark of the proof tester, or "controlleuer".

As such it can appear on any caliber rifle, military or sporting, bolt, semi-automatic, and even machine guns, Mauser or others. I have ex-Austro-Hungarian M.95 and ex-A/H, ex-Greek M.88/24 Mannlicher rifles which have this mark. Because the Belgian proof law is a national requirement, it can appear on any arm manufactured or rebuilt in Belgium. Although the largest, FN is but one of many Belgian manufacturers of rifled arms.

Needless to say, contrary to the belief of some collectors, "B. Blindee" is not a person.

Regards,
John

I have owned only one Wehrmanngewehr style rifle in 8.15x46R and it had an entirely different rear sight.

·
Registered
236 Posts
RHA your rear sight appears identical to mine in the other post, but yours has some military markings and a number on the slider, mine has none. could i ask a favor? can you measure the diameter of the windage spring plunger, and if i can ask a bigger favor perhaps ask you to remove the plunger and spring and measure both? no worries, tryin to come up with a solution to my missing spring and plunger

thx

lear

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RHA your rear sight appears identical to mine in the other post, but yours has some military markings and a number on the slider, mine has none. could i ask a favor? can you measure the diameter of the windage spring plunger, and if i can ask a bigger favor perhaps ask you to remove the plunger and spring and measure both? no worries, tryin to come up with a solution to my missing spring and plunger

thx

lear
Plunger: .078" Diameter, .667" Length

Spring: .073" Diameter, .865" Length(Uncompressed)
Made from .015" wire

I wouldn't concern yourself with the Waffenamts and numbers on my sight. I believe it was assembled from parts,including the slider from a 98k rifle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.