Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had to work yesterday, so this morning, I wandered over to the local gun show to see what I could find.

Several Carcanos, with one being SA stamped, but at $275 was too rich for my budget, considering it had an old "White Line" recoil pad grafted onto the back of the stock. The dealer tried to tell me the Finns did that to make a sniper out of it.

A number of 91/30's, M38's and M44's with the starting prices at $100 and up.

One nice B M39 that I was really looking at, but the $375 price tag turned me off fast.

A few 91/59's around $150. All but one were fairly ordinary Izhevsks.

Ammunition prices were absolutely ridiculous. First gun show in over a year that I could not find any decent ammunition.

There was one 91/59 that got my attention. It is a 1943 Tula with a two-character two-digit serial number. Old CAI import stamp on barrel, and just the serial number on the receiver. The tang is stamped 43 but has no Tula star. Everything was stamped matching, including the cut-down 91-30 stock, with the same stamp. Bore is dark, but I have hopes that it will clean up. I talked the dealer down to $130 OTD, so I feel I did OK. First Tula 91/59 I have seen.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Wow, I don't think he was fully awake or something... :)

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
I see SA Carcanos quite often, what I don't understand is why they want 250.00 plus for one that has a terrible bore and is cutdown & refinished.....What I don't see are original SA Carcano carbines in wonderful shape....

Pahtu.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have one. I bought it at a pawn shop in central TN. I tried to talk them down by telling them the bore was a sewer pipe. You could barely see through it. He said it was on consighment, so I had to pay the full $70. Got it home and the bore turned out to be full of cosomolene. The little carbine is mint.

Lately, all the ones I see at gunshows are junk and overpriced.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer managed to keep a straight face when he told me about the Finns making the Carcano into a sniper. Since the recoil pad was 1960's vintage, it is hard to imagine the Finns doing that back in the 1930's.

BTW, the B M39 had a beautiful plum barrel.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Before I was interested in anything Finnish, I passed on a really nice SA Carcano I found in Downtown Spokane - It had a shiny bore & was in beautiful shape - They were only asking 75.00 for it, but I was not interested in Milsurp at that time.....

·
Diamond Member
5,782 Posts
gun nut 73, congratulations on your nice find. Like you, I pounced on the first Tula I found...very happy with it. Was this show in the Springs? Denny

·
Registered
554 Posts
I had to work yesterday, so this morning, I wandered over to the local gun show to see what I could find.

Several Carcanos, with one being SA stamped, but at $275 was too rich for my budget, considering it had an old "White Line" recoil pad grafted onto the back of the stock. The dealer tried to tell me the Finns did that to make a sniper out of it.

A number of 91/30's, M38's and M44's with the starting prices at $100 and up.

One nice B M39 that I was really looking at, but the $375 price tag turned me off fast.

A few 91/59's around $150. All but one were fairly ordinary Izhevsks.

Ammunition prices were absolutely ridiculous. First gun show in over a year that I could not find any decent ammunition.

There was one 91/59 that got my attention. It is a 1943 Tula with a two-character two-digit serial number. Old CAI import stamp on barrel, and just the serial number on the receiver. The tang is stamped 43 but has no Tula star. Everything was stamped matching, including the cut-down 91-30 stock, with the same stamp. Bore is dark, but I have hopes that it will clean up. I talked the dealer down to $130 OTD, so I feel I did OK. First Tula 91/59 I have seen.
Way to go,Paul!
I guess I missed that one. I was there Saturday. I was able to find 4 of 5 magazines I was looking for and the prices were decent. Same on a couple of RCBS die sets.
I couldn't believe the one guy was asking $49.95 for a 20 rd box of Norma 7.7 Jap!!! I didn't pick up any ammo this time at all!
I had some of the dealers scurrying around for a while. I'd brought in an old knife to have it sharpened and to see if I could find any info on it. No one had ever heard of a Hermes knife before, nothing at the library or on the internet. Turns out it's a WWII era fighting knife. Apparently back then they'd broken up old swords to make into 2 or 3 knives each. Mine was made from the hilt end of the sword. Now I'll have to research Hermes swords later. Had 3 or 4 dealers offer me $100 for it but it wasn't for sale.
Then I hit the dealer near the back right corner. I'd made him an offer on 2 M-44's last show but he refused. Made the same offer again this time and he accepted. Turns out he's closing a gun shop in Canon City. That's why his signs said all the guns were 10 to 50% off, everything's gotta go. One of the 44's was a 1953 Hungarian and the other was a Chinese T-53, 1956 Factory 26 with a mis-matched bolt. Really pretty wood with a great looking bore.
$150 OTD for the pair.
He'll be there again at the next show, Thanksgiving weekend. I'll probably try and low-ball him on the 91/30's just to see if I can get them for less than $50 apiece. They looked to be all-matching but run-of-the-mill average Mosins and he seems to be more concerned with selling the new stock from the store.
Maybe I'll see you there?!
Jack71

1 - 10 of 10 Posts