Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather served in the Luftwaffe during WW2. He was killed in France in October 1944 while fighting in an armored battle group of the 11th Panzer division. Several years ago I had a website dedicated to him but the site was built using a proprietary technology and the server was turned off. Due to the proprietary technology I couldn't just transfer the pages to a new server. However, recently being unemployed, I had time to recreate the site on Google Sites. I thought some of you may appreciate it. There are a few letters. Sadly, I don't have any of the medals he earned (either as a boy scout or as a soldier) but a few years ago I was able to visit his brother's daughter and she gave me her father's medals - iron cross 2nd class, wound badge in black and wound badge in gold. I suspect the wound badge in gold would have been given to my great grandmother due to her son (my grandfather) being killed in action. Not certain of that. His brother was wounded and captured at Remagen. Enough diatribe. Here is the web site. I hope you find it interesting.
http://www.sassintl.com

·
Gold Bullet member
374 Posts
Darwin, thank you for sharing your grand- father's life with us. It's always interesting to see the effect war has on the lives of the ordinary soldier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Darwin, You are lucky to have family history preserved. Much of mine is mudddled by lack of carefully handed down knowledge. I too am of German decent (Allenbach). My surname has been Anglisized in it's spelling a bit. Growing up on military posts myself (some in Europe) I took a lot of flak over our name, as often is the case for German -Americans then. I just told my classmates I was Dutch. Thus the nickname stuck. One day I hope to be good enough with the computer to do a geneology trace.

Dutch

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One day I hope to be good enough with the computer to do a geneology trace.
Dutch
If any of your ancestors died in the war, you can start here: http://www.dd-wast.de/frame_e.htm
They will be able to tell you whether they were able to locate, exhume and reinter whoever you are looking for. My grandmother had some information from them that I was able to use. I have to look around a bit but there is a way to request service record information on anybody who served. That is how I got his service record. But I can't remember now where that site is. I hope I can find it again because my father has asked me to inquire about the service of his mother's half-brother, who we think may have been executed for desertion. We'd like to see what the official records have to say. Unfortunately, they don't always have information because a lot of records were destroyed during bombings, etc. If I can find the site, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Using the link I provided in the previous post, I just submitted a request regarding my grandmother's half-brother. I was able to request service record information through them. There will be a fee but fairly reasonable. You can state a limit to how much you are willing to spend.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Thanks for sharing that with us Darwin. He was a fine man and a good soldier.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,136 Posts
thanks for sharing. I lost several family members in the krieg. God bless them all.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,666 Posts
I remember this from the previous site. You've done a good job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts