Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone I just picked this up today a Webley in .455 Uncut with some Ammo.
its a "WG" army Model it has Army & Navy CSL on the top of the Barrel and the serial number matches all the way to the grips. the finish is about 80% on this one and the bore is Perfect.
It locks up tight.
Serial Number is 11535 and on the bottom of the grips it has C.W.C. on each grip panel.
Can any one tell me any info on this Pistol.
I paid 800.00 for it (hope I did OK).
Pictures:

·
Registered
241 Posts
You did real well. on gunbroker these sell for anything from 1.50K to 2,000. Of course I have always considered these prices to be too high. I did pick up a Webley/Pryse in .476 for $850 on gunbroker once through. It needs repair to the extractor, as it does not function when I open the revolver. However, I at least know what the problem is, as a friend sent me a copy of the patent. I believe I can repair the actuator arm as it is broken at the top that presses on the extractor spring.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The Webley Government models were commercially sold, and this is the variation made between 1896 and 1912, of which nearly 12000 were made. Six inch barrels were the most common length. The rib marking means that the existing sales records will disclose the name of the original retail purchaser, his purchase price and the date of sale. His initials are likely C.W.C., stamped on the grips. Before about 1915, British officers had to privately buy their own sidearms (and uniforms), and the only requirement was they use the government's handgun cartridge (476 was the predecessor cartridge, which would also work with this arm). The Army & Navy Cooperative Society was a coop for its officer members. The cylinder flutes bear Birmingham commercial proofmarks last used in 1904. It looks to be in remarkable condition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never ceases to amaze me on how much info can be found on the internet.
you guys rock! thank you very much.
I will be sending info off ASAP on this pistol as I am curious as to who owned it and where he served.
Just like I have a Totenkopf Ring and still doing research on it.
William

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As far as shooting this pistol what do I need to know?
I have some old .455 Ammo it has on the base around the Primer: DC 43 VI 455 (is this safe to shoot)
any help in finding the correct ammo and loads for this would be great.
I hand load 7.5 French and 7.7 jap and a few other calibers to shoot.

·
Registered
857 Posts
If the cartridges have been kept dry the past seven decades they should work okay, and they are mild. Dominion cases are also reloadable with Boxer primers, but, since they are corrosive, make sure you clean the piece well with hot soapy water. Newly manufactured .455 Fiocchi cartridges are available on the market.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts