Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got into revolvers, and acquired these two Webleys. The one is, from what I can tell, a fairly standard Mk VI from 1918. If you have any details about the serial number and where it might have been, Id love to know! The serial is 347549. I was able to acquire this pistol with a box of primed 45 rimmed shells, a box and a half of 45 rimmed ammo, a bunch of half moon clips, and a full reloading setup with powder for the rest of shells for $400. From what I can tell, I got a helluva deal, and am grateful to the seller. He was aware of what he had, and persisted in selling it at said price, as he wanted to move it on to a good home.

Pics of 1918 Mk VI:
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry
Wood Font Auto part Metal Rim
Household hardware Gas Auto part Nickel Metal
Wood Material property Gas Glass Tints and shades

The second one is a little more interesting. It's what appears to be a commercial model Mk III. I dont see any broad arrow stampings implying military acceptance. also it has a 6in barrel, which from what research I've done, can hardly be found. I think I've found one other example on the net. Im curious if anyone has any more info on Mk III's in general, and a 6in barrel version. Is there any chance this was an officers personal gun, or was this likely a purely commercial/ personal use pistol? Also does anyone have any idea what year this gun is from? The serial is 77034. Regarding value, I paid $800 for this. Is that a reasonable value for this particular model? I havent been able to find much info on Mk III's considering their rarity, let alone a 6in version.

Any information would be appreciated!

Pics of Mk III:

Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood Everyday carry

Air gun Wood Trigger Revolver Gun barrel

Wood Air gun Gun accessory Metal Wood stain
White Automotive tire Wood Grey Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Bumper Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
These are known as "commercial/civilian" models. There are incarnations of Mk I & IIs but I believe they were the earlier frames fitted w/later 6" barrels.
I have a Mk III SN 77019
They were introduced in 1897 and endured until 1899 w/the introduction of the Mk IV
My civies: Mk V, IV, III

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
908 Posts
Fourth photo of your MKIII shows a broad arrow on the screw...

Reactions: lukasfehr

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are known as "commercial/civilian" models. There are incarnations of Mk I & IIs but I believe they were the earlier frames fitted w/later 6" barrels.
I have a Mk III SN 77019
They were introduced in 1897 and endured until 1899 w/the introduction of the Mk IV

So nice to see more of the gun I have! And so many at once!

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
I have a Mk III SN 77019

luka ----- I have a Webley Mk VI very much like yours. The serial number on my piece is 3923xx only about 50,000 after your numbered piece. Mine is also dated 1918 and stamped with broad arrows. Mine has the shaved cylinder so I use either the half moon clips or the rimmed .45 Schofield cases. The rimmed cases work quite well. I shoot only my own reloaded ammo in the Webley loaded to about 600 to 650 ft. per second with hard cast lead bullets. My wife bought mine as a graduation gift for me in 1962 from the University of Tulsa . If I remember correctly she paid $19.95 for it way back then. I could dig it out of my gun safe and take some photos of it if you'd like.

I recently got into revolvers, and acquired these two Webleys. The one is, from what I can tell, a fairly standard Mk VI from 1918. If you have any details about the serial number and where it might have been, Id love to know! The serial is 347549. I was able to acquire this pistol with a box of primed 45 rimmed shells, a box and a half of 45 rimmed ammo, a bunch of half moon clips, and a full reloading setup with powder for the rest of shells for $400. From what I can tell, I got a helluva deal, and am grateful to the seller. He was aware of what he had, and persisted in selling it at said price, as he wanted to move it on to a good home.

Pics of 1918 Mk VI:
View attachment 3880471 View attachment 3880472 View attachment 3880473 View attachment 3880474

The second one is a little more interesting. It's what appears to be a commercial model Mk III. I dont see any broad arrow stampings implying military acceptance. also it has a 6in barrel, which from what research I've done, can hardly be found. I think I've found one other example on the net. Im curious if anyone has any more info on Mk III's in general, and a 6in barrel version. Is there any chance this was an officers personal gun, or was this likely a purely commercial/ personal use pistol? Also does anyone have any idea what year this gun is from? The serial is 77034. Regarding value, I paid $800 for this. Is that a reasonable value for this particular model? I havent been able to find much info on Mk III's considering their rarity, let alone a 6in version.

Any information would be appreciated!

Pics of Mk III:

View attachment 3880475
View attachment 3880476
View attachment 3880477 View attachment 3880478
View attachment 3880479 View attachment 3880480

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
luka ----- I have a Webley Mk VI very much like yours. The serial number on my piece is 3923xx only about 50,000 after your numbered piece. Mine is also dated 1918 and stamped with broad arrows. Mine has the shaved cylinder so I use either the half moon clips or the rimmed .45 Schofield cases. The rimmed cases work quite well. I shoot only my own reloaded ammo in the Webley loaded to about 600 to 650 ft. per second with hard cast lead bullets. My wife bought mine as a graduation gift for me in 1962 from the University of Tulsa . If I remember correctly she paid $19.95 for it way back then. I could dig it out of my gun safe and take some photos of it if you'd like.

photos would be great!

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Attached below are some photos of my Webley Mk IV and the Webley Mk VI I mentioned. They are both good shooters with my hand loaded ammo. I've placed them on a Bagcraft LTD. canvas holster dated 1943 just for effect. I've also included a photo of an Enfield double action only revolver, not sure of it's Mark number. It shoots pretty good too.
Revolver Air gun Sleeve Trigger Eyewear
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Wood Gun barrel Hunting knife Everyday carry
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Grey Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
et ---- Thanks for your comment. The big Webley Mk VI works very well with .45 S&W cases and 200 grain ..452 dia. hard cast lead bullets. Anyone who might have a shaved cylander Webley VI I'd recommend this ammo combination.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
etwmsjr ---- I just looked up my load data for the Webley Mk VI piece and find it is using the .45 Auto Rim brass, (not S&W cases) Winchester 231 powder, std. large pistol primers, 200 grain hard cast lead bullet and Winchester 231 pistol powder. My starting load of W 231 is 4.0 grains that gives a little less than 700 fps. That load seems to give good plinking ammo and you could work up or down from there. Good shooting with your Webley.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
etwmsjr ---- I just looked up my load data for the Webley Mk VI piece and find it is using the .45 Auto Rim brass, (not S&W cases) Winchester 231 powder, std. large pistol primers, 200 grain hard cast lead bullet and Winchester 231 pistol powder. My starting load of W 231 is 4.0 grains that gives a little less than 700 fps. That load seems to give good plinking ammo and you could work up or down from there. Good shooting with your Webley.
So, 45 AR is the way to go hand loading for a shaved 455. That is probably the question, I should be asking. ....

Now for a dumb question. I have easy access to PPU 455 ammo. Is there any reasonable way to fire that in a shaved cylinder? I am guess the ACP moon clips are too small a diameter? Or is the whole idea, to dumb to think about?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
So, 45 AR is the way to go hand loading for a shaved 455. That is probably the question, I should be asking. ....

Now for a dumb question. I have easy access to PPU 455 ammo. Is there any reasonable way to fire that in a shaved cylinder? I am guess the ACP moon clips are too small a diameter? Or is the whole idea, to dumb to think about?
Only dumb ? is the one that goes unasked.
I've seen moon clips dremeled out to take .455 ammo. Only reasonable way I reckon it could be done.
If the ammo is affordable and the desire is strong I'd have no qualms about doing this.
AND you'd always have the brass to reload!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I just purchased some 455 ammo. Now, I need to find a gun to go with. That is right. Life has got so tough, I need to be sure I can find ammo and it will work, before I even begin shopping around for the firearm!
It's a service that will take your request for specific items(Webley 455) and notify you via email when and where auctions are occuring.
Most times better prices than the gun sales sites.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.