Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking for any and all information on the Webley Model 1910 automatic, in .38ACP. All I've been able to find so far is confirmation of its existence. I've always had an interest in the issue .455 model, and I've found a 1910 for sale in the $500 range, which seems a good price to me. Is it?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I know very little about the Webley self loading pistols, but at least I do have a copy of The Webley Story and can post scans of the entry on the Model 1910 (and the Model 1913 variant without grip safety, since I gather some of the info in that section also relates to the 1910). There is no photographic plate showing the Model 1910 - just the line drawing at the top of the first page - but I'll also post a scan of Plate 64d (a Model 1913) for comparison.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Grant. The text seems a little contradictory - is the 1913 chambered in .38ACP or 9mm Browning Long? I've found a reference on Wikipedia to these being used as substitute standard weapons by the Royal Navy. Now, clearly Wikipedia is hardly a reliable source and I'd naturally tend to think that they're being confused with leftover .455 Mk.INs, except that the seller of this one mentions it having the "issue holster". Any chance that this could be accurate? I'll be sure to post photos when they arrive.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I honestly can't say whether the Model 1913 was chambered in 9mm Browning Long (either exclusively or in addition to .38 ACP) .... such ambiguous wording is typical of Dowell's writing style, I'm afraid. FWIW, the caption for the photograph of the Model 1913 pistol (i.e. Plate 64d) reads: ".38 H.V. automatic, 1913 Model with internal hammer." ...

Unfortunately, I also can't help on whether this pistol might have been "substitute standard" issue for the Royal Navy - entirely possible, I suppose, given the incredible demands for firearms during both World Wars ... but then again, being chambered for a "standard issue" cartridge was usually a prerequisite to any such service ....

Look forward to seeing pictures!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts

The .38 Colt Webley on top is much larger and is a delayed blow back gun using the same system as the .455 Auto. The lower 9MM long is a smaller straight blow back pistol.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Nyles,
If you have the opportunity to snag a 1910 W&S with an issue holster for $500 DO IT! Paid $1280 for mine at a recent aution and was thrilled to get it for that price. Not as nice as Joel's (what a beautiful late pattern 1910; what is the length of the spare barrel in the case?!) but a nice solid 75 point example. W&S built less than 1000 of these so they don't come up for sale often. Let us know how things turn out!
mawkie

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I just got the pictures and told the dealer I'd take it. This is kind of new ground for me, I've never bought a non-military gun before, but damn it this one I want!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
That is a great buy! In the US its probably worth 3 time what you paid for it. If you want to shoot it, buy a pair of repro grips from Vintage Grips. The original grips are always at risk when you shoot any Webley auto.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Nyles, outstanding find! Hell, if you allow a minimum of $75-100 for the beautiful holster you're looking at paying $475-500 for the 1910! Joel's right, it's worth 3x the dealer's selling price (thank God the dealer doesn't know the current market value of 1910s!). And here I was patting myself on the back for my 1910 find a couple of months ago. I too was always focused on finding a MKI in .455 but when the opportunity to get a 1910 came up I couldn't resist. I have no doubt you'll love yours as much as I love mine!
Joel, thanks for sharing the photo and info. A truly beautiful set!
Time to head to bed. Tomorrow's my birthday and a I just happened to get an email tonight from a nice gentleman who has to have the nicest Ross collection in North America. He has a sale list of Rosses that he's parting with and my dogs are going to buy me a Ross for my birthday! Just have to choose one...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mawkie,

Consider one of the 1912 Cadets. I know the .303s are probably what you're after, but I got a 1912 from Barry a couple of years ago and they are fantastic little rifles. They're single shot and you need to use standard velocity ammo, but mine will put 25 rounds in a half dollar size spot at 50 yards all day long. You can't find anyone better to deal with than Barry either. No matter what you get off that list you'll be happy.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Reese,
Obviously you're on Barry's email list too! I bought a beautiful Canadian Enfield No2 MKIV from Barry a couple of years ago and vowed to add at least one of his Rosses to the safe. I had narrowed my selection down to a Cadet, a sexy M10 .280 sporter (the only sporting rifle I would consider owning, an amazing rifle and cartridge for its time) or a one of the two military match MKII** models. An aversion to spending any more time at the reloading bench than I have to made me reconsider the M10 so I decided to go for the MKII**. It's the one in the middle in the photo. Barry has such nice examples in his collection that I know it'll be an outstanding addition to my small batch of Rosses. And I will definitely be back for one of his Cadets before too long as I need one for my .22 trainer collection, just gotta recharge the bank account!
Cheers,
mawkie
PS Barry's been kind enough to send photos from time to time and I'm always blown away by what's in his collection. On another recent GB thread I mentioned that Ross rifles are catnip to Bubba because they're such good shooters. Well, call me Bubba, 'cause they're certainly catnip to me too!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm sure you'll be happy with it. My war chest was empty this go around or we'd have been competing for those. I've gotten my Cadet, a US MkII and a Brit issued MkIII from Barry. I had the bayonet so I had to get the rifle to go with it, didn't I?

Enjoy!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The gun came yesterday and I'm very pleased with it - it's in really nice shape and has a sharp bore. I have two questions - first of all, how do I strip the thing? I'm reluctant to start dicking around with it without knowing what I'm doing. Also, the bottom of a grip panel has a 10 stamped into it like some kind of rack number, anyone know what that might mean?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Nyles:

There is some reference to 'dismounting' in the Webley Story scans I posted near the start of this thread, but now I see that the text seems to refer you back to the writeup on the .455 models (of which I take it that the Model 1910 was a sort of down-sized version) .... so I'm attaching some additional scans (the previous three pages of text and a couple or relevant plates - will let you try to puzzle it out. Wouldn't want you to miss out on the well-known pleasure of trying to decipher what Dowell is trying to say, after all ..... ;) )

Hope this helps, though!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ah yes ... the directions for "taking asunder" ... :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts