Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to you all !
Would like to share two nice Webley MKIV both assigned to British South African Police. Both issued in mid 50's. One was later issued to Southern Rodhesia Government
Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Gun barrel Everyday carry Trigger Gun accessory

and so marked (S.R.G.) in a triangle. One is near mint and one is very little used...
Two nice revolvers with a lot of history...
Thank you so much for watching !
Fausto

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
A couple beautiful examples of wonderful Webley Mk IV's . Congratulations on your pieces. I have a Mk IV very much like yours showing very little use. I also have an Enfield Mk II (double action only) I think that shows some use but not abused. They both reside in Webley canvas holsters and are both good WWII examples of British side arms

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again, Guys....
Big Coulee, if you like (as I like...) Enfield revolvers, you may be interested in this training N°2 MkI cutaway, made from a 1933 specimen. These are factory (or armourers) made pieces. No red paint on the cuts (all four I have observed are the same) and , what is surprising, no firing pin cut. So a live round can be fired ( !!! ). Can you imagine that?
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Some years ago I picked up a pair of Mk4 4" .38s issued to New Scotland Yard in the 50s, barely if at all fired. It seems that most police Webley revolvers got little use even at the firing range.

Thanks for sharing yours, very nice

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The title of this thread is misleading and wrong.. The BSAP (British South African Police) was the Rhodesian police force from the begining. Post WW II political changes created the country of Southern Rhodesia. The South African Police (SAP) was the police force of the Union of South Africa, latter the Republic of South Africa, from 1913 until the ANC came to power in 1994. The police are now the South African Police Force (SAPS), and quite frankly a much less effective organisation.

Peter

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Peter ! that's a fine explanation... I wrote at the beginning of the thread what I had been told by the German auction I bought the revolvers at. So I guess that some Rodhesian revolvers were marked with the SRG triangle and some were not.
Thanks again...
smle-man : you're right. These revolvers usually are in more than fine condition. My two BSAP look almost new, but the recoil plates bear the marks of the cases fired in. So I guess that they were used but very well cleaned (the bores are mirror bright), and very well cared.
Thanks again !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts