Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
There was another of these, a rather exquisite variant, that came up a while back but fairly recently.

Maybe our fellow member "Wheaty" posted it??

I think it is a conversion for shooting .22 rimfire from a large frame Webley.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok..dumb dumb dumb question but I'm gonna ask....so they made a 320 version of the webley 3...given the size of the muzzle could it have been that instead of 22?

Yes I'm playing devil's advocate here.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
The .22 caliber adaptors were built and marketed by Parker-Hale, patented 17 January 1923, "supplied in quantities to the Canadian Defence Department, the Small Arms School Pachmarchi, India and the Government of Northern Ireland. By 1940 is was also available for use with the caliber .38 Enfield Service Revolver and the .38 Webley Mark IV. (pg. 232, Webley Revolvers, Bruce & Reinhart, 1988.)

Pretty scarce, actually. The kit was intended to temporarily replace the regular cylinder for economical target practice. So the revolver up on auction is "missing" the original cylinder.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I did a fast skim of all of my Webley books. If looks like P-H did conversion kits for both 4" and 6" barreled revolvers. Interestingly, I have one that will fit either - the tube extension simply threads into the shorter tube. Webley did do a single-shot mono-block conversion kit, which I presume was for Webley pistols. The 1945 Parker-Hale catalog has an array of .22 caliber training devices, including one for the 2-PDR artillery, the Boyd anti-tank rifle, the Vickers Machine Gun and the Lewis Machine Gun.

(Note: pop over to Cornell Publications They have reprints of many old gun catalogs. There is an amazing amount of information to be found for very few $$.)

I've seen the Parker-Hale Webley conversion kits go for $400 - $1200. Revolver not included.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Likely a new cylinder created for the purpose that looks like it was proofed. Interesting little conversion there.
Yeah it's a webley with a 22 conversion kit installed.
The barrel has threading on the end because it is a sleeve that is inserted into the existing barrel, then threaded to be tightened. If you have the original cylinder, you can swap between 22 rimfire and 455 webley.

These are extremely desireable - especially if you have the original cylinder - because you retain the ability to shoot both original 455 and cheap 22 lr.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Gas

Wood Household hardware Gas Auto part Circle

Automotive tire Auto part Wood Gas Tool

Bicycle part Auto part Electric blue Metal Bicycle drivetrain part

Automotive tire Camera lens Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Silver Bullet member
2,215 Posts
Parker Hale would do the fitting if you sent your revolver to them. A Parker Hale fitted unit will have the last three digits of the revolvers serial number stamped on the outside the the .22 cylinder. If you get a .22 PH unit without the revolver, the unit might not fit your revolver without doing some work. The real test of a revolver smith is making the PH unit fit and function while making sure that the original .455 or .380 cylinder still functions correctly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts