Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
This has always struck me as the sort of thing bored soldiers do in the field.

Bunch of lieutenants sitting around in a dugout in 1915. We know, from Sassoon, that it was common for them to play with their revolvers, shooting rats and whatnot. Of course they're going to be fiddling with their weapons, and how long would it take before one of them says, "Hey! I wonder if the stock from the flare pistol will fit on my Webley!"

I doubt it was ever done in anything but jest.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
This has always struck me as the sort of thing bored soldiers do in the field.

Bunch of lieutenants sitting around in a dugout in 1915. We know, from Sassoon, that it was common for them to play with their revolvers, shooting rats and whatnot. Of course they're going to be fiddling with their weapons, and how long would it take before one of them says, "Hey! I wonder if the stock from the flare pistol will fit on my Webley!"

I doubt it was ever done in anything but jest.
And if one of those young officers was named Arthur Pritchard...a star was born!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
"Hey! I wonder if the stock from the flare pistol will fit on my Webley!"
The answer of course being NO. Someone had to set the body up in a milling machine to cut the rquired groove in the LHS of the grip frame; not many of those in the trenches! Interesting the said groove was still being cut in the bodies of the 4" barrel 1/2" signal pistols in WW II, long after the stocked 10" barrel version was history.

Peter

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The answer of course being NO. Someone had to set the body up in a milling machine to cut the rquired groove in the LHS of the grip frame; not many of those in the trenches! Interesting the said groove was still being cut in the bodies of the 4" barrel 1/2" signal pistols in WW II, long after the stocked 10" barrel version was history.

Peter
A few hours with a file. Soldiers get bored a lot.

And of course there were milling machines in the army. Not in the trenches, but the men spent much (if not most) of their time elsewhere. Many maintenance shops would have had machines, and the army had plenty of men trained to use them.

We don’t know how all these things happened. But there’s not a great deal of utility in putting a stock on a Webley. It negates its intended use as a close-quarters weapon, and anything an officer might have wanted to do at long range? He could have used any of hundreds of rifles within easy reach.

Stocking a Mk VI has never passed the common-sense test to me. Clearly it happened at least once. That doesn’t mean much, though. One of my soldiers tried to use a water bottle as a silencer once, too, but after its amusement value was done? He didn’t bother doing it regularly.

·
Copper Bullet Member
527 Posts
There was a Bill Maulden cartoon (Willie & Joe) that shows a new replacement mounting his bayonet on his Garand. Joe looks at him and says, "If your're close enough to stick 'em, you're close enough to shoot 'em'. I think this applies.

G2

·
Registered
170 Posts
Actually, with .30 cal in a pistol like the Mauser, a stock can be useful if it's not a quick reflexes sort of situation. I've fired a Hi-Power with a shoulder stock, and it was very helpful. In a Webley, not so much. I'm on record as loving the Webley dearly, but it's howitzer-like trajectory and short range do not lend themselves to the kind of shooting that benefits from a stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Be careful, as there are many India/Pakistan made fakes of the Webley Shoulder stock. The wood is different, usually no serial # unless added by a faker, and the brass grip is totally screwed up when compared to the original. There are other indications.
i have one of those fakes- its fine. ish. and it was only 40 bucks or so ..
the stocks aren't made for the pistols- only accomodates 1 pin of the 4 on the webley grip.
also- above poster- beware of Simpsons Ltd. i've never a heard a good thing about them. they are famous for being awful.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,161 Posts
I have seen a few very old pistol stocks made in India in the 1910 -1930 era. They attached to the revolver in a rather different way, using thin steel plates which fitted under the original grips. Anyway, because they were aftermarket and not lawful I had to pass.

I have examined a few of the flair gun stocks fitted to MK VI revolvers and after speaking with many collectors, I have yet to see or hear of one with a matching numbered shoulder stock. I can't say it was never done, for the combination looks tempting to contemplate, but so far no hard evidence.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
yournewmom
Never heard anything "good" about Simpsons???
Don't know who you been "listening" to but they have an incredible staff/inventory/customer service.
I bought a consignment item that was not as described.
One email and they said return it np!!
Had a refund check in hand w/i 7-10 days and they reimbursed me for postage!
Also have bought rare/one of a kind guns from them.
Maybe I've not had a proper introduction.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I’ve heard some things as well over the years. Mostly stemming from “original and all matching Lugers” for one.
Aside from that I have dealt with them in the past and have visited their shop too.

They tried to pull a bait and switch one time. I argued. Got the item at a very fair price after ‘negotiation’ but nearly twice the original asking.
Pretty much any shop would do it under the circumstances of the day.
Simpsons is a good business but not run by saints.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Visiting Simpson's is like having an entire gun show concentrated in one room. The Luger room is insane.
The condition of the guns is variable and they don't do anything to dress them up so you're looking at some nice clean guns and some dirty ones, some in good condition and some in bad condition.
Every time I've gone I ended up having to choose between several guns.
Haven't bought online.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts