Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fantasy piece. The stock was for the No.1 MkI flare pistol.
View attachment 3926300
The bayonets did exist but there are a number of fake/reproductions so one should be very well educated on how to tell the reals ones from the fakes.
While I agree that there certainly fakes out there I seriously doubt the Robert Simpson at Simpson LTD would sell a fake. The Mk VI stocks were real. The Webley Revolvers book by Bruce/Reinhart spends 3 pages highlighting them.
Photograph Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the book mention anything regarding who was intended to be issued these things?
I would not feel particularly inspired by it
My wife basically said the same thing when I showed it to her. The book doesn't say who used it but it state that the same stock was used on the flare pistols as Reese indicated above.

Font Document Number Publication

·
Registered
213 Posts
Dowell's The Webley Story captions the picture of the MkVI with shoulder stock "1916 Model with detachable shoulder stock as used on parachute flare pistol. (my italics). There is no evidence that pistols were ever fitted with the shoulder stock in use and certainly they were never issued that way. Have collectors over the years fitted the shoulder stock to pistols? Absolutely. As to the bayonets, there were estimated to be less than 200 originally made. In 1968 when the W.W. Greener buildings were being emptied and demolished, parts for a few more were found. The parts were assembled into complete bayonets and sold on the collector market. There is debate in the hard core bayonet collector community whether the assembled ones should be called original or not. There have been several reproductions out of India ( I have one) that range from pretty good copies to ones that are obvious reproductions. I looked on Simpson's site and couldn't find the piece shown in the original post. Therefore I can't comment on the bayonet they listed. I have not had any personal dealings with that company so I am by no means imputing unethical practices to them, but in general if you believe that dealers, even big name high priced ones, don't both knowingly and unknowingly sell fakes/reproductions as legitimate I believe you are naive. I did notice Simpson's list a German WWII uniform with "may be reproduction" as part of the description but priced as a legitimate period piece. To me that kind of wording is a big red flag. Call me cynical, but I view those as weasel words that lets them tell an unhappy buyer "Well we said it "might" be a repro."

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
How can you differentiate the flare stock from the Webley One?
I am reading here: The flare pistol and revolver are both Webley and it is the exact same stock. The open question is if the revolver and stock were ever combined in service. It sure seems that anyone who can get thier hands on a stock only needs a copy of the Bruce/Reinhart book to make up a valuable item for Simpson to sell on commission. While the Dowell book, says that is a collector fantasy.

It is way over my pay grade. It does make for some interesting morning reading. Real or not, that revolver with a bayonet and stock is quite the sight! Imagine that hanging on some CEO office wall.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
No one has addressed the legal aspects of ownership of a SBR, which these amalgams are considered to be!!!
There's been controversy previously of an assembled specimen that was scrutinised by the ATF at a RIA auction a couple yrs back.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No one has addressed the legal aspects of ownership of a SBR, which these amalgams are considered to be!!!
There's been controversy previously of an assembled specimen that was scrutinised by the ATF at a RIA auction a couple yrs back.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
As you correctly stated wouldnt Simpsons be violating Fed Law by not abiding by NFA 34 and not filling out necessary transfer forms.....

Also above my pay grade and looks like a Pandoras box!
Perhaps they realized that. As stated above the gun is no longer listed on their website.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The stocks were only made for the flare gun. If you want to fit one on a MkVI you have to cut a notch in the grip frame. And then your troubles with BATFE begin as described above. Certain models of C96 Mausers, Browning High Powers, Lugers and probably a couple others are exempt from the SBR classification because they were made with shoulder stocks and issued that way. It is a very specific set though and there are pitfalls for the unwary. As I understand it an Inglis High Power originally made with a slot for a shoulder stock and an original stock are ok. An Inglis High Power cut for a stock and a reproduction shoulder stock are not.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Be careful, as there are many India/Pakistan made fakes of the Webley Shoulder stock. The wood is different, usually no serial # unless added by a faker, and the brass grip is totally screwed up when compared to the original. There are other indications.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts