Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is thread with some info about reloading ammo for .455 Webley Mk VI, and an interesting tip how to fix problematic cylinder on Webley Mk VI, see .455 Webley Bullet Mold :

Posted by Outpost75:

My Mark VI had chamber throats which varied all over the map from .449" to .453" all in the same cylinder! I had DougGuy hone the cylinder throats to make them all uniform size and to mostly remove old tool marks and pitting. When done all six chambers would smoothly accept a .455" gage pin and none would accept a .4555" pin. Accuracy was MUCH improved, even with my "old" handloads assembled with bullets sized to .452 I had prepared in trying to get the original cylinder with pitted throats to shoot. It does even better now with unsized bullets which fit the hones cylinder as-cast.

Also, Cheshire Dave specified that he is making cases from 45 Schofield brass, cutting to .99" length. I did the same, but cutting to .87". However, he specified that he thinned rim chucking cases in drill pres and using file. Here is better method:

To squeeze the rim, use strong machine vise or hydraulic press.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It looks from the drawing that material is removed from the front of the rim, which wouldn't reduce the depth of the primer pocket. Another option for brass could be 45 Cowboy Special from Starline. This is basically a shortened Schofield. The OAL ranges from .892-.896 per Starline.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
How did you handle the loss of depth to the primer pocket? Is there enough 'meat' on the Schofield brass to safely allow for reaming?
It looks from the drawing that material is removed from the front of the rim, which wouldn't reduce the depth of the primer pocket. Another option for brass could be 45 Cowboy Special from Starline. This is basically a shortened Schofield. The OAL ranges from .892-.896 per Starline.
I see what you're saying and I think I see why. Thanks for that.
It's surely easier once the system is set up at home vs filing away the underside.
In the past I have done the filing for lack of a lathe. Once slippage is addressed, then consistency comes into play. This looks pretty consistent on its own...now that you opened my other eye. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bigwagon, you are right on. No problem with primer pocket, whole case is pushed down. The only area squeezed is the rim. Actually, rim is getting bit tight in shell holder, but case will go inside it. I would suggest check headspace on your revolver, and if rim could be .040", make groove in tool on that dimension.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.