Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own several Webleys. There is a proof or inspector's mark inside the cylinder flute on most of my revolvers but my Mark I, II, V, VI and 4 series don't seem to have a marking inside the flute.
Is there a reason the Mark series have clean flutes (they all have military markings) or is this just a coincidence specific to my particular collection (which includes a couple of Army Navy CSL pieces, a couple of Pryses, a Kaufman and some pocket pistols).

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The government inspectors who checked all the military Webleys had much different protocols.
Not quite correct Joel. The Service Webleys all have the military proof stamp (crown over monarch's letters - VR, ER or GR- over crossed pennants over 2P (for Victoria) or P (for Edward and George) on the front LHS of the top strap (which is part of the barrel) and on each chamber behind the flute. Not really much different from the Birmingham proof house sytem.

Peter

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Thanks Peter. My specialty is commercial British cartridge firearms. I was purposely vague about the military proofs, because I have not made a study of them. In fact, I have decided that when I finally am ready to do the book on Webley military MK I-VIs, that I will only take the photos. I have 2 very knowledgeable folks to do the writing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.