Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum so go easy on me.

I am looking to get my first rifle, and right now I'm looking at a Weatherby Vanguard and a Sako 85. Both are chambered in 30-06.

The Vanguard I think is from the 70's, I don't know the exact year, but it has a low serial number of 0013, and it's in great shape (looks like only had about 10 rounds through it). I can get it for $400. Included are some pictures of it.
IMG_20200915_134829268.jpg IMG_20200915_134755431.jpg IMG_20200915_134933677.jpg IMG_20200915_135154831.jpg

The sako 85 is much newer and much more expensive (I think later 2010's at $1,650). It is also in great shape and I don't think it has ever been shot before. Below is the link to the Sako. (the "sale pending" next to the price is my pending purchase, although nothing so far is final)

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/sako-rifles/sako-85-bavarian-in-30-06.cfm?gun_id=101435881.

I will use the rifle for target shooting, some deer, wild pig, and maybe elk.

I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on these and which you think would be a better buy (maybe from a collector's perspective too). I'm not super concerned with the price, but I'm wondering if the Sako is that much better or has that much more value.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I'm biased and would go for the Sako, but if it is going to be knocked about in the field maybe not.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
47,561 Posts
the Sako is a better rifle,, but the Weatherby for $400 (japanese made?) with the original scope, is a better deal

both will do what you ask them to do

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
For the stated all round tasks you describe, that old Vanguard at four Bens is the way to go AFAIC. That Sako is, well it's a Sako, and that's the reason for the price. A tad bit high of a price, but money talks if yer feeling it. The Vanguard will do anything you want it to do and look good doing it too. A fella could sell that original Weatherby scope and put much more modern glass on it making that pig shooting at night somewhat more user friendly, for probably the same money. And if you don't beat it up too awful bad, resale will most likely bring the Bens back same same. Those Nippon made rifles have always been tack drivers in my experience and those bases and rings are old school top quality. Just saying......

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,383 Posts
Thanks all for your support, I've settled for the Sako.
If budget is OK, you did well. The Sakos are very high quality and you will enjoy having it. There is something to be said for having nice things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts