Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,691 Posts
There is no list , per say ! Maybe half dozen rifles & carbines ( Officers choice ? ) or so , made every year . The Swedes published a Roll book of Officers . " Arilar " has access to some of them . Maybe he will come along and give you a hand . He needs the year as well . I do not know of anyone outside of Sweden with the set of books . How about posting more photos !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Here is an earlier thread with some weapons officers rifles listed.It should be made into a sticky for ease of future reference.

·
Registered
877 Posts
GunPost, Superbee.

Edited to add;
I see it's sold this morning.
It was I believe a Falun workshop converted rifle.
Spliced in pistol grip, and converted to a sporting/target rifle.
No diopter sight, but Had had one. No rear sight but base still there. Ramped foresight....

·
Registered
581 Posts
re: Weapons Officer's Rifles

"Very few of these unique arms were produced." (Crown Jewels, Chapter Seven, P. 107)

I have one of these rifles and am wondering where to find more information.
The rifle was assembled as part of a firearms training course by Löjtnant Niles Åkerhielm of the 15th Infantry Regiment (Kungliga Älvsborgs Regimente).

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thank you very much, and if possible can you please describe the source of this information.
Svenska Arméns Rulla (1925 Ed), page 142. The entry for Löjtnant Åkerhielm has him listed as having completed the GBK (Kurs för utbildande gevärsbesiktningsofficerare - trans: course for training rifle inspection officers)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Swede

"I do not know of anyone outside of Sweden with the set of books".

There is a source much closer to you. I have been assembling this collection of Svenska Arméns Rulla for about 10 years. At this point from 1895 to 1946 I am missing only about five years.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,691 Posts
Swede

"I do not know of anyone outside of Sweden with the set of books".

There is a source much closer to you. I have been assembling this collection of Svenska Arméns Rulla for about 10 years. At this point from 1895 to 1946 I am missing only about five years.

View attachment 3793078
Impressive !!!!!!!!!! Good the know . Glad you were able to get that many volumes . Do you know the first & last years that were printed ?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Tim,
I believe this rifle was altered at the owners expanse at the Falun workshop. This is based solely upon the very tight inletting of the pistol grip. (Pictures a bit fuzzy but believe this is the case!)
The owner could send the rifle to the workshop, and for fixed fees , could alter the rifle for target or sporting use.
Whether this was done by the original owner we may never know, but the style of alteration appears Pre-War to me.
Not a bubba job, and I hope the new owner looks at it carefully before thinking of altering it..

·
Registered
877 Posts
Tim,
It seems the rifle in the link you added has disappeared.

Here is a link to a thread about a Falun conversion that lives with me;

All the best,
Richard.

PS, Rifle in the attached thread now has some Leopold lower rings....looks and works better. :)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Yeah, I just checked out the thread you posted about your VP Falun sporter. The scope and rings it came with looked a bit high for a good cheek weld.

As far as the OP is concerned...he seems to be one of those that asks for, and receives good help...but then wishes to erase something that would add to the general knowledgebase that this site seems to be all about. I find it odd behaviour and really bad form.

The post that was erased was concerning what appeared to be one of the VD Falun conversions in 30-06. It was based on the Swedish Mauser 94 action and it had a nifty little Norma "peep" sight on the receiver bridge, just aft of the charging "hump". The rear sight looked as though it could have been soldered on...and that reminded me of the rough spot on the receiver bridge of the rifle that this thread relates to; I thought a similar little "peep" sight (no windage or elevation adjustments) might have been soldered on the rifle we are looking at here?!?

I did turn up a listing on ePay for a reproduction VD Falun catalogue that you may be interested in...

Vapen Depoten 1947, Falun, Sweden | eBay

Also, it is quite apparent that a lot of these may be kicking around on the Tradeexcanada site...

Husqvarna M96 Sporter in 9.3x57 | tradeexcanada

The one above...the one the OP scrubbed and the one on this thread all seem to have a common front sight; being a ramped sight that can accommodate a removeable hood.

The part of the thread the OP scrubbed, that I though was relevant to your own opinion of this rifle having been converted by VD Falun, is that the OP titled that thread "VAPEN-DEPOTEN FALUN Swedish Mauser 30-06" and he included a page from the VD Falun catalogue that had pictures of various diopters...one of which was almost exactly what was on the rifle he posted about and I thought that the rifle we are looking at, here, could have been kitted out, likewise, without having been D&T'ed on the receiver bridge.

I always consider it strange when someone asks for, and receives, high quality information and then obscures what might add to all of our knowledge...or at least help bring a stronger "likelihood" to anyone's understanding.

By the way, PB...that rifle you have from Falun has really nice stock work...makes me think of the pre-WW1, commercial Mausers!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.