Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Fried rat with nouc mam........numba 1!:D
I would rather eat the rat live than douse it in nuoc nam. That is the absolute smell of death. I made the mistake of making shrimp curry with that stuff a few weeks ago. I had to open every door just to let my apartment become inhabitable again.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
CW Speaking of trying things out said:
salt water mussels should be ok but check with your local regulators for current seasons or health warnings.cant tell by your profile where you live but salt water mussels are usually pretty decent.garlic and butter and some spices of your choice.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
I would rather eat the rat live than douse it in nuoc nam. That is the absolute smell of death. I made the mistake of making shrimp curry with that stuff a few weeks ago. I had to open every door just to let my apartment become inhabitable again.
You have just stumbled on a great rodent bait-tuna dipped in fermented anchovie sauce.or any food item dipped in the infamous nouc mam.should have a stringer full of big Norweigans overnight in a couple Ketchalls.Never have seen any of these survivor shows where rat was caught and used for food.Maybe surviorman will have it on the menu .Didn't he get hurt recently?

·
Silver Bullet member
4,752 Posts
East coast mussels are delicious. I'm in Maine, and we can go to the shore and collect the mussels anytime. We do a big batch (more than we can eat at a sitting) and then strip out the extras into a jar and convert to hors d'oeuvres. Here are the recipes:

STEAMED MUSSELS

6 Dozen fresh mussels, scrubbed
1-1/2 cups dry red or white wine
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbl. minced shallots or scallions
1 tsp. whole fennel seeds
1 Tbl. dried rosemary
1 tsp. dried thyme
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

1. Place mussels in a large stockpot. The mussels should not fill the pot by more than two-thirds. Add all ingredients (mussels last).

2. Cover the pot and place over high heat. Cook until all the mussels are open, at least 10 minutes. While cooking, occasionally stir mussels with a large slotted spoon, bringing mussels from the bottom up to the top. Transfer mussels to large platters or bowls, discarding any that didn't open during cooking. Serve at once, with melted butter.
Serves 8.

HINT: When gathering mussels, do as much cleaning (removing rocks and seaweed) as possible at the collection site. Pick medium sized mussels for best flavor. Do not remove beards until immediately before cooking.

PICKLED MUSSELS

1 Bottle of Kraft Zesty Italian Salad Dressing
5 Tbl. Vinegar
5 Tbl. Lemon Juice
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Oregano
2 Tbl. Parsley
1 Clove Garlic, crushed
4 Tbl. Pimento, chopped (optional)

Put pickling ingredients into a quart mayonnaise jar. Cook mussels, (as above) Shuck mussels and drop bodies into the pickle until level approaches that of the covering liquid. When cool, put into refrigerator and keep chilled until use.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,573 Posts
ROFLMAO! Had to throw in the nuoc mam comment. Actually I had some about a year ago when a former resident of Vietnam installed some flooring for us and he brought me a traditional RVN lunch. He said there is a Asian food store in JAX that has the "new and improved" nuoc mam. IIRC he said it is "filtered" to get rid of the funk......and funk is hardly the right word to describe the smell..........:D

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Just boil some bats(fruit bats r best) for tenderizing ;then marinate/add fav bbq sauce and grill a little bit.never tried rat but I would never disrespect someone for eating batmeat.still not as good as grilled dog;but close.My fav critter meats are sea turtle,ocean prawn and gator-in that order.There is a special place in my belly for beer and BBQ bat.The hell with woodchucks;I'll take my rodent on the wing.

Personally I prefer cat - the other white meat!

Since it tends to be tough & stringy it is best left in a crock pot for three days, or until tender.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Insofar as I am concerned, beaver beats the rest of the critters. And you nasty-minded ol' farts can quit chuckling back in the corner. The tail, that big flat paddle-thing, is about as good as it gets, better than salt pork, for seasoning beans.

Gull sounds just south of disgusting, but is bound to be better than possum or ground sloth.:cool:

Possum tends to be questionable, since they are scavengers.

Best to take them alive & feed them corn meal (or other suitable food) for a week to "flush" them out. Pretty much the same deal with snapping turtles too.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.