Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
BBQ

deep fried? now that is a thought. Really, I think if another rat is brought home it will be my donkey that gets fried. The wife left the house and told me to call her when we were done with the rat. I believe we found 1 of her limitations ( chuckle)
Just boil some bats(fruit bats r best) for tenderizing ;then marinate/add fav bbq sauce and grill a little bit.never tried rat but I would never disrespect someone for eating batmeat.still not as good as grilled dog;but close.My fav critter meats are sea turtle,ocean prawn and gator-in that order.There is a special place in my belly for beer and BBQ bat.The hell with woodchucks;I'll take my rodent on the wing.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
The Confederate defenders at Vicksburg are rumored to have eaten rat (along with mule and horse) during the last days of the siege there in 1863. Supposed to have tasted sort of like squirrel, which I can easily see. Bon appetit
I am sure it all tasted like veal towards the end...
When I lived on Wake Island there was a whole bunker full of rodent and seabird remains.Guess they had nothing else to eat after they dynamited all the fish in the lagoon.
Could possum taste as good as a 2" thick Iowa pork chop? nah ,I wouldn't go quite that far.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
CW Speaking of trying things out said:
salt water mussels should be ok but check with your local regulators for current seasons or health warnings.cant tell by your profile where you live but salt water mussels are usually pretty decent.garlic and butter and some spices of your choice.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
I would rather eat the rat live than douse it in nuoc nam. That is the absolute smell of death. I made the mistake of making shrimp curry with that stuff a few weeks ago. I had to open every door just to let my apartment become inhabitable again.
You have just stumbled on a great rodent bait-tuna dipped in fermented anchovie sauce.or any food item dipped in the infamous nouc mam.should have a stringer full of big Norweigans overnight in a couple Ketchalls.Never have seen any of these survivor shows where rat was caught and used for food.Maybe surviorman will have it on the menu .Didn't he get hurt recently?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.