Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was given 2- class room pets. (Rats) they were getting mean, biting the hands that were feeding them so my son said he would take them. When I arrived home from work my wife was close to loosing it. " do you know what YOUR son is doing?" " well...no. I just got home. What's he up to?" " he going to cook those rats!!" ( large smile on my face)
yeah....that's my boy! chuckle. I stepped into the garage and sure enough he was skinning them out. I didn' t have to say anything he just looked at me and said he wanted to try...RAT. He marinated them in something and threw them on the grill, sweet potatoes and some rice pilaf. They tasted OK but they were pretty stringy....seemed the more chewed the bigger the mouthful got. So my reccommendation is.......not unless you absolutely have to...( large smile)

·
Premium Member
5,208 Posts
Rat salad suprize? Hmmmm, you tryed it too!! Your son sounds interesting.

But the worst I know is....I ate a seagull once....yep!..walking home for thee days, when my outboard gave up on Kobuk lake. The first day I ate all my food, the second I had two ducks, the third night I tryed the gull, as that was all that was on the menu...

Didnt taste like chicken either, more like fishy steak...Blaaaaaaaaaaa!!

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
yea, i heard seagull tasted like fish. you're supposed to boil the rat, like squirrel, before you fry or grill them, unless they're babies. i bet the rat tasted like squirrel.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
How about deep-frying them ? I saw that in S.E.A. but never tried it.
Rat on a stick ...

Best Regards,
A

·
Registered
744 Posts
SEA rats...

of the eating-type, were (are) usually rice rats, which are collected as a bonus when harvesting the rice - some of the middle-sized kids are assigned to run them down and whack them when they make a break for it in front of the harvesters. Fried whole, they aren't bad - and I'd much prefer them (because of their fresh, vegetarian diet) to your typical city Norway rat. I might try packrat, of which we have a surplus here in SE Arizona, and which is also vegetarian, mostly.
PRD1/mhb/Mike

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
deep fried? now that is a thought. Really, I think if another rat is brought home it will be my donkey that gets fried. The wife left the house and told me to call her when we were done with the rat. I believe we found 1 of her limitations ( chuckle)

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
BBQ

deep fried? now that is a thought. Really, I think if another rat is brought home it will be my donkey that gets fried. The wife left the house and told me to call her when we were done with the rat. I believe we found 1 of her limitations ( chuckle)
Just boil some bats(fruit bats r best) for tenderizing ;then marinate/add fav bbq sauce and grill a little bit.never tried rat but I would never disrespect someone for eating batmeat.still not as good as grilled dog;but close.My fav critter meats are sea turtle,ocean prawn and gator-in that order.There is a special place in my belly for beer and BBQ bat.The hell with woodchucks;I'll take my rodent on the wing.

·
Read Only
4,675 Posts
Rodent roast....

Insofar as I am concerned, beaver beats the rest of the critters. And you nasty-minded ol' farts can quit chuckling back in the corner. The tail, that big flat paddle-thing, is about as good as it gets, better than salt pork, for seasoning beans.

Gull sounds just south of disgusting, but is bound to be better than possum or ground sloth.:cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Around here, the locals speak highly of Possum and Sweet Potatos. I can't say I've tried this combination myself, and I don't think I shall in the foreseeable future.

Rat? I could go with that. Though, I don't much care for rabbit, so rat might be along the same lines. I've heard young rabbits are much nicer, though....

·
Registered
895 Posts
The Confederate defenders at Vicksburg are rumored to have eaten rat (along with mule and horse) during the last days of the siege there in 1863. Supposed to have tasted sort of like squirrel, which I can easily see. Bon appetit

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
The Confederate defenders at Vicksburg are rumored to have eaten rat (along with mule and horse) during the last days of the siege there in 1863. Supposed to have tasted sort of like squirrel, which I can easily see. Bon appetit
I am sure it all tasted like veal towards the end...
When I lived on Wake Island there was a whole bunker full of rodent and seabird remains.Guess they had nothing else to eat after they dynamited all the fish in the lagoon.
Could possum taste as good as a 2" thick Iowa pork chop? nah ,I wouldn't go quite that far.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
If you get a chance, read "The Aquariums of Pongyang". The author survived for many years in a North Korean prison/work camp. He and some friends noticed that one family had gained a little weight, so they assumed that they had turned into informants. After threatening the family, they discovered that they had converted one half of their shack into a "Rat Farm".

Speaking of trying things out, my local beach has a ton of mussels at low tide. I've been tempted to try some but figure a) must be some sort of fish & game regulation against it and b) I figure I'll get some sort of horrific shell fish poisoning. Anyone know?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.