Gunboards Forums banner

WD-40 and long term effects of guns/ wood stocks

9K views 100 replies 46 participants last post by  bunkysdad 
#1 ·
Gentlemen, I have a friend who is in the beginning stages of a divorce and he had to move some of his guns ( quickly and quietly ) in an effort to secure them for long term until some dust settles , his only option was to slather them in WD-40 and put them back in the cases, both long guns in socks and hard clam shell type cases and pistols in gun rugs ( soft ) ...I told him some oil, is better than no oil and we all know WD really isn't oil, but is there any long term effects on the wood or the WD and the gun laying wet in the pistol rugs.

I made an offer to store some of them for him and really get them oiled up properly but his wife is friends with my wife and he doesn't want them ( his guns ) to have any negative attention

what says the collectors ....and thanks

#93 ·
I was in rc boating for many yrs. WD40 was used for dispersing water after a high speed dunk but nothing else. The website I frequented for the hobby had a chemist as a member. He proved to the doubters that WD40 contained 70% mineral spirits. That said we NEVER used it for winter storage of our engines, hardware, etc. It just does not provide the protection necessary for that hobby. We used a 50-50 mixture of marvel mystery oil, and air tool oil for storage of the engines. We never had an issue with engines stored that way. I can say with certainly that WD40 does contain 70% mineral spirits. What the remaining 30% is Im not sure.

#94 ·
. We used a 50-50 mixture of marvel mystery oil, and air tool oil for storage of the engines.
Not for long storage. I go with RIG. BUT-- The Marvel is my choice in shooting completion with 1911s or ARs. I like it, does clean well the carbon and fouling after you done and keeps 1911 slide very slick, may shave .010~seconds off your time.

#97 ·
Richard and I agree on many topics. But in this particular case; we do not. There is simply just too many purpose made alternates that work.. and work well. WD 40 has its applications. But in this case its application should not be for long term-preservation of a firearm.

#99 ·
#100 ·
lol, love you richard. But i don't think you will convience me that wd-40 is the best gun protective. Especially when i had to strip a 1903 pocket hammerless that was gummed up tight as a drum due to the wd -40 varnishing it up and mixing with dust causing the slide to lock up like super glue. Note: this is how it was when i received it from a family member. I have never used wd-40; which is why asked what he used. Wd-40 is what he used... blah.

She only gets ballistol and rig for long term storage now. Hang with 'em.

#101 ·
I am on my first can of Ballistol and I like the stuff. Breakfree is great too. I didn't know they made Breakfree Collector. I wasnt some. I am a mechanic and keep the WD40 in it's proper place. To cleam and lube hand tool, and light duty lube or penetrating oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.