Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

· Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
3,008 Posts
I have been very happy for the last forty years with G96 silicon gun treatment. Including a year where the whole collection sat in an ambient temperature garage with everything wrapped in newspaper. Clean the weapon, spray it down, it lubricates protects and does not adversely affect wood furniture. I keep a rag with G96 sprayed on it and wipe guns as I handle them.

· Silver Bullet member
2,313 Posts
They use something made by CRC at the local machine shop to spray parts down with to prevent rusting. I took me 5 years to re assemble my car and the parts they made were just as clean and fresh as if made the day before, even though they has sat in a unheated garage and for most of the time. I have a friends collection in the basement at the moment. It has just sat there for 6 years now and I just spray it down twice a year. So far no rust. I don't have a complete label on my can so I don't know what the exact name of the stuff is.

· Copper Bullet Member
9,027 Posts
take this advice. and use it how ever you see fit.
most wives know you hava a gun collection. but do not have a clue what exactly is in that collection. when you get all excited and try to include them into your little word by telling them about your guns, they shut you out..and think about the mall or some other kinda crap.while you are telling them all about the SWEET trigger pull on the new timney trigger =you just bought..
what does this have to do with anything? why am i yammering on and on?
get your guns...store them in a proper manner..
go to your local gun shop..tell the gunsmith about your divorce, do not leave out the gorey details
ask him if he has any $50.00 pos, aint never gonna fire guns...
he wants to get rid of that crap and you need it
replace your guns with the crap...polish the crap stocks..make em look good
hell, spray paint the rust.
let her have em....be gone with your stupid A$$....let her new boyfriend figure it out
how do I know this trick? ask her....she THINKS she has my guns..
good luck and remember...possession is 9 tenths of the law

· Registered
1,400 Posts
Long term - many years - WD40 will turn into varnish.
I have seen the above happen. A few years ago I was invited to see a fellow collector's collection. He had about 50 rifles hung on his walls and they all seemed to have a yellow hard coating on them. I asked him what he was using on the rifles, WD 40. He said to protect the rifles from the high humidity (we were on the east coast) and rusting he sprays them down every month.

· Registered
474 Posts
take this advice. and use it how ever you see fit.
most wives know you hava a gun collection. but do not have a clue what exactly is in that collection. when you get all excited and try to include them into your little word by telling them about your guns, they shut you out..and think about the mall or some other kinda crap.while you are telling them all about the SWEET trigger pull on the new timney trigger =you just bought..
what does this have to do with anything? why am i yammering on and on?
get your guns...store them in a proper manner..
go to your local gun shop..tell the gunsmith about your divorce, do not leave out the gorey details
ask him if he has any $50.00 pos, aint never gonna fire guns...
he wants to get rid of that crap and you need it
replace your guns with the crap...polish the crap stocks..make em look good
hell, spray paint the rust.
let her have em....be gone with your stupid A$$....let her new boyfriend figure it out
how do I know this trick? ask her....she THINKS she has my guns..
good luck and remember...possession is 9 tenths of the law
Most wives show little enthusiasm when you mention a new rifle you purchased. When is the last time that most husbands and wives have had a "lively" conversation about a new addition. If you say "I have" God bless you and you are in a small percentile. If you are not watching whats going on at a certain point in a decaying relationship,chances are,you been got good and proper already and she could care less about your firearms. I'm not saying it does not happen but I would not place my money on it. I still stand by "the less a woman knows about your gunsafe,the better off you are" Earlier in my second marriage my wife asked me about the combination. I politely told her that she will have to call a locksmith if I should pass away unexpectedly. I'm on my second failing Marriage, You want to play the odds,cool. Want to take some advice from someone who been there??? Talk to me ....agian..this is just IMHO....Larry... Talk about a hijacked thread....Spax,tell me what kind of gun socks you use LOL

· Gold Bullet member
13,393 Posts
Oh my! The overwhelming consensus runs against me and Patrick's supporters are legion. I fear to return and I will have to keep my opinion to myself.

:laugh:

I'll be back. :)

· Registered
11,916 Posts
Oh my! The overwhelming consensus runs against me and Patrick's supporters are legion. I fear to return and I will have to keep my opinion to myself.

:laugh:

I'll be back. :)
Oh come on Richard. I've never seen you back down from something you thought worthy of discussion. Bring it already! ;)

· Gold Bullet member
13,393 Posts
Oh come on Richard. I've never seen you back down from something you thought worthy of discussion. Bring it already! ;)
Matt:

Patience is a virtue! ;)

I've been too busy to compose a response worth reading, but hopefully soon.

· Registered
474 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Sack-Up-Model...TF8&qid=1399071176&sr=8-12&keywords=gun+socks

Sackups - made in usa unlike allens.. which are Chinese and do not last from my own experiances.
I have never tried out gun socks. I guess in my mind I always thought that keeping things in cases and sleeves was a "bad" thing for long term and having a little air (dry air) was a good thing.I keep my bolts open and use good synthetic motor oil. I'm gonna have to rethink this. These will probably cut down on safe dings as well. Thanks for the link,I'm gonna order a 6 pack and give them a try. ...Larry

· Registered
17,770 Posts
They are must, and are great. Prevent dings scratches while moving them around in safe, and they do not attract moisture. Silicon impregnated material detracts moisture. Elastic too, i leave the bolts open and the slings on for the most part and these easily stretch around it.

· Silver Bullet member
3,483 Posts
I have seen the above happen. A few years ago I was invited to see a fellow collector's collection. He had about 50 rifles hung on his walls and they all seemed to have a yellow hard coating on them. I asked him what he was using on the rifles, WD 40. He said to protect the rifles from the high humidity (we were on the east coast) and rusting he sprays them down every month.
Yes,
I once bought a Win model 100 that had been "preserved" with WD40 - I used my foot to get the bolt open.

· Registered
17,770 Posts
Isn't that essentially what a goldenrod system is?
Just looked them up. They claim the light bulb used in their light is a great dehumidifier.. i am not sold.

For pennies a day, GoldenRod® Dehumidifiers safely eliminate the dampness and humidity that lead to mildew, condensation, rust & corrosion. . . forever. We guarantee it!GoldenRod® protects your possessions from mildew, mold, and rust. It has no moving parts, installs in minutes, safe from fire danger and burns.Available in four model sizes & two colors (gold and white). Protection ranges from 100 cubic feet to 500 cubic feet.
How GoldenRod Works
GoldenRod® heats to a surface temperature of less than 150° F (which is almost too warm to hold) and circulates warm, dry air throughout an enclosure on a 24 hour basis. This increases the temperature of the air inside to several degrees above the ambient outside temperature. Expansion of the heated air forces the moist air outside through the vents or loose fitting doors leaving the dry air inside.

Installation Instructions
Installation is simple. Attach the universal bracket using the stainless screws supplied with the unit and snap the GoldenRod® in place into the bracket. GoldenRod® must be mounted horizontally at the bottom of an enclosure to work effectively. It can be mounted as a freestanding application or brackets may be attached to a vertical wall. GoldenRod® MUST always be mounted horizontally in order to work correctly.Safe
Safety is important for any form of dehumidifier left working in any unattended area. The GoldenRod® Dehumidifier is the safest on the market.
Unlike a light bulb that many people leave burning and hanging over a hook, the GoldenRod® mounts securely into place so it will not swing or fall, possibly breaking and causing a fire. Unlike a light bulb that creates intense heat in a concentrated ball, the GoldenRod® distributes heat evenly over the length of the Rod.The light bulb uses 75 to 100 watts. This not only generates a possible fire risk, but is also very expensive. The GoldenRod®, with a maximum power of 38 watts, generates the necessary heat without ever coming close to the flash point of paper or plastic and does its job for just pennies a day.Some people use a space heater which usually operates between 1200 to 1500 watts. This generates excessive heat and is an expensive operation. The GoldenRod®, with its even heating, saves the risk and cost of fire as well as saving money.The GoldenRod® is available with a removable plug for instances that require the wire to be routed through a wall, partition or cabinet. Following the instructions, just remove the plug, push the wire through the hole and reassemble the plug on the other side.Running Cost of the GoldenRod® Dehumidifiers
With the smallest GoldenRod® running at 8 watts (100 cubic feet) and the largest at 38 watts (500 cubic feet) GoldenRod® dehumidifiers cost a fraction of other electric methods. It literally amounts to pennies a day!
Guarantee!
GoldenRod® has a Lifetime Guarantee. Plug it in and forget about it! UL listed and made in the USA.

I use this in conjunction with the other methods i stated in this thread.. and it doesn't require power.. also its rechargable.

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-E-500...&qid=1399077761&sr=8-13&keywords=dehumidifier

41 - 60 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.