Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 101 Posts

· Admin Emeritus
19,075 Posts
Patrick:

I haven't beaten- up on you lately, but this engagement is calling my name. ;)

OP, I am in complete, 100% disagreement with Patrick's opinion concerning WD-40 and as soon as I get a chance I'll come back and try to convince you why I sincerely believe that he is mistaken.

Edited to add: Vic you posted while I was responding to Patrick. Just to be fair, I'll include you in the opposing camp but since you didn't phrase your rejection of WD-40 as definitely as Pat, I'll only state that I'm in 95% disagreement with you. ;)

To each their own. In my collection I trust RIG for long term storage for over 30 years. I was in these shoes some years past and RIG protected my items as I expected while in non climate controlled exterior storage. If WD 40 works for you that's cool.

· Registered
22,053 Posts
I am with VIC on RIG but moving on... the divorce. 5 yrs ago my buddy arrived at the house in a panic,
his wife (a lawyer) served him notice and told him to vacate all his stuff out of the house . He arrives at
my house with all his weapons in his van: " I am selling these , take your pick and then I go hit the gun shops,
I need money to survive this divorce". Hell of a note but I really remember his last comment: "Never marry
a lawyer and get divorced in the county she practices law in". Probably good advice... just like RIG.

Time for my 4 mile death run, gonna spray my bum knee with WD 40... I hear it lubricates and does all wonders !! Gotta be true, I read it on Gunboards.

· Copper Bullet Member
12,874 Posts
No dog in this fight but FWIW the penetrant version of PB blaster has been working great and freed up a flooded rusted solid trapdoor springfield and a shuetzen amsler millbank. WD 40 and knocksoff just don't seem to work as well lately especially protecting a newly browned a barrel after neutralizing.

· Registered
11,916 Posts
Richard- add me to your list. While if he will simply be storing it for a month or 2 they will probably be just fine, I don't think its a great practice to do all the time. There are better alternatives available at the same places one can buy a can of WD-40. WD-40 is great for getting stuck nuts and bolts loose.

· Registered
2,293 Posts
I've always used WD-40 and never had a rust problem, ever, on anything. I have a gun safe that has one of those aerosol misters for air freshener, the type with a timer. I found a small can of WD-40 that fit instead of the air freshener and reset the timer. Every 18 hours a "pssst", and a nice cloud of spray settles on everything in there. 40+ guns and twenty years later and zero issues.
That sounds like a bomb waiting for a spark.

· Registered
474 Posts
Tell your friend that I respect his situation. I was "pulled over" by a state trooper while moving part of my collection. You have to appreciate the state I live in for this story to mean anything (Snow covered my licence plate) He was quite surprised to see 22 bolt action long guns on my front seat covered with an army blanket and after a few VERY TENSE moments.(he has a family,I cant blame him) He let me proceed to my buddies house. Most wives know you collect guns,not many know what you have and what each one is worth.The less she knows,the better off you are. If you get sick,(cancer or such)time to spill the beans so she doesn't sell them all for $40..this is just IMHO.....Larry

· Gold Bullet Member
4,603 Posts
how old is WD-40-- I know 25 years ago that's all I used. I know better know, and better products are available than 25 some years ago.

· Gold Bullet member
4,965 Posts
I am with VIC on RIG but moving on... the divorce. 5 yrs ago my buddy arrived at the house in a panic,
his wife (a lawyer) served him notice and told him to vacate all his stuff out of the house . He arrives at
my house with all his weapons in his van: " I am selling these , take your pick and then I go hit the gun shops,
I need money to survive this divorce". Hell of a note but I really remember his last comment: "Never marry
a lawyer and get divorced in the county she practices law in". Probably good advice... just like RIG.

Time for my 4 mile death run, gonna spray my bum knee with WD 40... I hear it lubricates and does all wonders !! Gotta be true, I read it on Gunboards.
Hey Skip Tony Stewart uses Mobil 1 maybe you should try that? Bill

· Gold Bullet member
4,965 Posts
Thanks for the fishing lure tip Bill. I will be trying that.
When I saw him squirt that stuff on the lure I genuinely thought he lost it! Then there was the simple matter of all the fish being on his side of the boat? I can't fish worth a dam even with all the secrets on my side! Bill

· Gold Bullet member
4,965 Posts
Another thing about divorces for all you happy C&R holders. If she knows you have a license all she has to do is tell her lawyer and they will subpoena your logbook and you are now dead in the water. The ex tried to do that with me but I had dropped my license several years before and told the Judge I was not required to keep a book because of that and I had only the list of my collection that I presented in court. I got great council from my lawyer and also from a fellow collector who faced the same lawyer my wife had in his divorce case and he forewarned me what the lawyer did to him. So I was lucky and somewhat prepared. Always say I would rather be lucky than good! Bill

· Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
105,315 Posts
That may be the case but I'm betting she doesn't have pics of them and I'm betting she doesn't know what they are. If they are gone they are gone- cie la vie.
True, but she can give an idea and judges hate people, especially men, who play around with assets.

105,315 Posts
Tell your friend that I respect his situation. I was "pulled over" by a state trooper while moving part of my collection. You have to appreciate the state I live in for this story to mean anything (Snow covered my licence plate) He was quite surprised to see 22 bolt action long guns on my front seat covered with an army blanket and after a few VERY TENSE moments.(he has a family,I cant blame him) He let me proceed to my buddies house. Most wives know you collect guns,not many know what you have and what each one is worth.The less she knows,the better off you are. If you get sick,(cancer or such)time to spill the beans so she doesn't sell them all for $40..this is just IMHO.....Larry

And if you die before you spill the beans, some people will be very happy.

105,315 Posts
Another thing about divorces for all you happy C&R holders. If she knows you have a license all she has to do is tell her lawyer and they will subpoena your logbook and you are now dead in the water. The ex tried to do that with me but I had dropped my license several years before and told the Judge I was not required to keep a book because of that and I had only the list of my collection that I presented in court. I got great council from my lawyer and also from a fellow collector who faced the same lawyer my wife had in his divorce case and he forewarned me what the lawyer did to him. So I was lucky and somewhat prepared. Always say I would rather be lucky than good! Bill
Smart move by the attorney to get the log book.

But the best way to protect a collection is not to get divorced.

· Diamond Bullet Member
9,127 Posts
My many collectible rifles and handguns all have small red hang tags with a short description and approximate real sale price.
After three divorces and a seemingly lasting 4th marriage, my chances of dying seem at the moment greater than my chances of divorce and I sure don't want my rifles sold for the $99 each she thinks I paid for them!

(My grandfather's extensive antique shotgun gun collection was taken for nothing by the Elmhurst, Illinois police after he died, telling my poor grandmother (quite absurd lies) that it was all illegal because he never registered it.)

And if you die before you spill the beans, some people will be very happy.

21 - 40 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.