Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Gold Bullet member
4,965 Posts
Ballistol or RIG , if not on hand, get CLP.

Anyone who says WD 40 is the answer here is totally misinformed on it being anything but a very short time stop measure.

WD 40 is the wrong answer here !
+1 so add me to the list too. WD40 is junk and I haven't used it in years because of that! I had 35 years plus working for Dupont as a iridologist and there is no creditable information you can feed me that will back anything through a standardized test which can back what claims WD-40 makes. Snake Oil pure and simple so quote away. Bill

· Gold Bullet member
4,965 Posts
I've always used WD-40 and never had a rust problem, ever, on anything. I have a gun safe that has one of those aerosol misters for air freshener, the type with a timer. I found a small can of WD-40 that fit instead of the air freshener and reset the timer. Every 18 hours a "pssst", and a nice cloud of spray settles on everything in there. 40+ guns and twenty years later and zero issues.
Great! I would say animal fat would work too if you sprayed every 18 hours too. Or maybe even the fish oil that WD-40 was wrongly thought to contain for years. Only thing I know of that WD-40 will work on is fishing lures when you want to catch the big one. I have seen this first hand and I was really not a believer but the guy I know that uses it has one several local fishing tournaments so he must have something right I guess.

I used Balistoll in bags wiped heavily on guns which were stored in a leaking unheated attic for over 5 years and had no damage so I know that works for at least that long and by the way it was a similar sort of situation. I never thought of the sealing thing with the bags and I like the idea of that a lot. Bill

· Gold Bullet member
4,965 Posts
I am with VIC on RIG but moving on... the divorce. 5 yrs ago my buddy arrived at the house in a panic,
his wife (a lawyer) served him notice and told him to vacate all his stuff out of the house . He arrives at
my house with all his weapons in his van: " I am selling these , take your pick and then I go hit the gun shops,
I need money to survive this divorce". Hell of a note but I really remember his last comment: "Never marry
a lawyer and get divorced in the county she practices law in". Probably good advice... just like RIG.

Time for my 4 mile death run, gonna spray my bum knee with WD 40... I hear it lubricates and does all wonders !! Gotta be true, I read it on Gunboards.
Hey Skip Tony Stewart uses Mobil 1 maybe you should try that? Bill

· Gold Bullet member
4,965 Posts
Another thing about divorces for all you happy C&R holders. If she knows you have a license all she has to do is tell her lawyer and they will subpoena your logbook and you are now dead in the water. The ex tried to do that with me but I had dropped my license several years before and told the Judge I was not required to keep a book because of that and I had only the list of my collection that I presented in court. I got great council from my lawyer and also from a fellow collector who faced the same lawyer my wife had in his divorce case and he forewarned me what the lawyer did to him. So I was lucky and somewhat prepared. Always say I would rather be lucky than good! Bill

· Gold Bullet member
4,965 Posts
Surprised you were looking at his rod; figured you would be lusting over his whinnies.

Any way, Glad it works for him; I just never heard of them till now.
You must live a very protected life! He he! I have used Golden rods for years and I know many people who use light bulbs in there safes with good results too. Many welders keep their welding rods in boxes with small watt light bulbs to keep it dry so it will work right too. Golden rods can claim whatever they want but all they are is low wattage heaters. I have a friend who has used a left over aquarium heater from his fish collecting days for years in his safe.

Most all good quality safes have holes in them for leads to Golden rods or whatever and that does not cause any reduction in the fire ratings at all. They are usually very hard to spot and before setting a safe you should find just where it is and work the wire out and tape it to the front of the safe before setting the safe where you want it. Then it takes a snap on plug for an electrical connection and you are on the road/

I have gone through about 5 or 10 dehumidifiers over the years and never had one that last over two years while running 24 hours a day. Even the timed ones that run for limited hours fail to hold up long. So I am giving timed and thermostatically controlled air conditioning a try now. I use dry electric heaters in the winter and that works just fine so far. They have a naturally dry heat and save a few bucks keeping the place in the 50's at worst temp wise. I also have bags of desiccant a member here was selling a few years back in each safe.

Oh a word to the wise Golden Rods are supposed to be sized to the safe so keep in mind if you have a big safe you need a larger rod to work right. If the power goes out for a week like I had happen a couple of years ago just keep out of the room and hope for the best I guess. I use Balistoll and the above efforts and I had no trouble over the outage time. I also stored using Balistoll and wrapped in plastic trash bags, doubled and sealed with tape inside a cardboard shipping box for almost 5 years in a leaky and unheated attic with no troubles. I would say that was just about as long as that would work as things were getting ready to rust about then I think. Many different ways to get the job done and I have learned a bit off this thread too! Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.