Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
I'm adding you to the list! ;)

I will be back with a detailed response as soon as possible. I have my hands full right now.
I've always used WD-40 and never had a rust problem, ever, on anything. I have a gun safe that has one of those aerosol misters for air freshener, the type with a timer. I found a small can of WD-40 that fit instead of the air freshener and reset the timer. Every 18 hours a "pssst", and a nice cloud of spray settles on everything in there. 40+ guns and twenty years later and zero issues.

· Registered
102 Posts
I found a small can of WD-40 that fit instead of the air freshener and reset the timer. Every 18 hours a "pssst", and a nice cloud of spray settles on everything in there. 40+ guns and twenty years later and zero issues.[/QUOTE ]

If nothing else, you win the award for American Ingenuity if not best actor in a gun comedy of errors. This is the absolute best tale on gun maintenance in my life time. I am truly impressed.
hey, all I know for sure is that it works. I was duck hunting a few years back, in the rain, everything was soaked. Got a call that my Ma died, and had to rush home. Put the still wet shotgun in the safe and got on a plane. After I got home, it was another month before I attended to my shotgun. I was expecting some rust, found none. Cleaned it as I normally do, and, again, zero issues. No rust. I'm convinced.

· Registered
102 Posts
:laugh: Love this idea.

Wouldn't the 'real' air freshener refills contain alcohol ?
I guess they would. To be clear the safe never came with an air freshener. I added that fogger myself. Never used the air freshener it was intended for, but an 8 oz. can of WD fits right in there. I for one could care less what others here think about it; like I said, 20 years and nary a problem. Everyone who has seen it has commented on it, and a few have copied it. I have seen no 'varnish', no sludge build up, no explosions. It's powered by a 9v battery, and lasts about a year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.