Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen, I have a friend who is in the beginning stages of a divorce and he had to move some of his guns ( quickly and quietly ) in an effort to secure them for long term until some dust settles , his only option was to slather them in WD-40 and put them back in the cases, both long guns in socks and hard clam shell type cases and pistols in gun rugs ( soft ) ...I told him some oil, is better than no oil and we all know WD really isn't oil, but is there any long term effects on the wood or the WD and the gun laying wet in the pistol rugs.

I made an offer to store some of them for him and really get them oiled up properly but his wife is friends with my wife and he doesn't want them ( his guns ) to have any negative attention

what says the collectors ....and thanks

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,658 Posts
WD 40 is not good for long term storage of firearms or even as an oil for lubing them up.
Get some gun oil for storage, I use Ballistol, it is proven for over 100 years.

Patrick

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
WD 40 will buy him a week or three. Then he needs something that wont rub off or evaporate. RIG or something like that. I know where he is coming from.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,075 Posts
WD 40 is not good for long term storage of firearms or even as an oil for lubing them up.
Get some gun oil for storage, I use Ballistol, it is proven for over 100 years.

Patrick
Patrick:

I haven't beaten- up on you lately, but this engagement is calling my name. ;)

OP, I am in complete, 100% disagreement with Patrick's opinion concerning WD-40 and as soon as I get a chance I'll come back and try to convince you why I sincerely believe that he is mistaken.

Edited to add: Vic you posted while I was responding to Patrick. Just to be fair, I'll include you in the opposing camp but since you didn't phrase your rejection of WD-40 as definitely as Pat, I'll only state that I'm in 95% disagreement with you. ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
for the record I did not recommend or condone him using WD-40, I think that all he had on hand, I only heard about this a few days after the move, this is NOT a this oil is better than that oil thread, I'm just worried, as someone who one day soon might be in a position to make him an offer on some of his collection as to potential damage from the WD-40 as his only resort to protection

more over damage from the metal to cloth as in the pistol rug contact , or the WD sitting on the wood of some of the rifles and then put back into cases ????

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I've used wd40 as a moisture dispersent on a few guns, lightly and no longer dripping and wiped down, just before I use a food style vacuum sealer to seal a emergency rifle or pistol in, sprayed while actions were removed from wood then reinstalled, still have a couple saturday night specials sealed up for some years with ammo. Generally done for a go to bug out bag in case of natural disaster, ya know, that sort of thing. Special attention to bores and critical surfaces. But this of course, with large numbers of guns, its expensive for the bags and the vacuum sealer, but not that much compared to the benefit. I did retrieve a rifle with wood furniture of this method after ten years inside of a bag, still good, unsure what would happen to fancy wood finishes on the valuable ones, I never experimented with a mosin, mauser, sks that still had finish on it, or a finish worth worrying about, though the sks I sealed up for 12 years had shellac, but I didn't just soak the rifle in wd40 before I sealed it still dripping, so dunno.

If I had to, I could vacuum pack all my critical guns, or errrrr, I used to, I should check, I mean, just in case I heard of a humongous hurricane coming my way someday, the key here is to have the types of rolls that you make your own sealed ends, not pre made bags, bolts removed or anything removeable that creates a sharp surface that can break the seal and sealed with the item. Double sealing is a safeguard against puncture, depending on how much knocking around said stored item may endure before placement.

And in case of court order to turn over his guns.... well, a person can buy a 110volt plasma arc inverter metal cutter(I have one that is 110/220volt capable, I mean, 220volt option is better, usual cost $400 to $600), air compressor, and turn the scrap metal over with serial numbers complete in a brand new shiny metal garbage can under the guise of just doing his bit to make sure guns are liberally taken off the "street", or they can be demilled so they are useless on the chamber and barrel areas underneath..

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,565 Posts
Where was he keeping them before the breakup-- Maybe inside of a safe. What sort of numbers are you talking about. 20 40... Maybe best thing would be rent a storage. One RIG will cover 20 30 rifles as one application, good for three months. GL

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
71,253 Posts
I am sure that the wife knows that he has firearms. Such being the case, the guy only needs to be concerned with short term storage.

·
Registered
19,303 Posts
Ballistol or RIG , if not on hand, get CLP.

Anyone who says WD 40 is the answer here is totally misinformed on it being anything but a very short time stop measure.

WD 40 is the wrong answer here !

·
Gold Bullet member
12,075 Posts

Anyone who says WD 40 is the answer here is totally misinformed on it being anything but a very short time stop measure.

I'm adding you to the list! ;)

I will be back with a detailed response as soon as possible. I have my hands full right now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm adding you to the list! ;)

I will be back with a detailed response as soon as possible. I have my hands full right now.
I've always used WD-40 and never had a rust problem, ever, on anything. I have a gun safe that has one of those aerosol misters for air freshener, the type with a timer. I found a small can of WD-40 that fit instead of the air freshener and reset the timer. Every 18 hours a "pssst", and a nice cloud of spray settles on everything in there. 40+ guns and twenty years later and zero issues.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts

+1 so add me to the list too. WD40 is junk and I haven't used it in years because of that! I had 35 years plus working for Dupont as a iridologist and there is no creditable information you can feed me that will back anything through a standardized test which can back what claims WD-40 makes. Snake Oil pure and simple so quote away. Bill

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
I've always used WD-40 and never had a rust problem, ever, on anything. I have a gun safe that has one of those aerosol misters for air freshener, the type with a timer. I found a small can of WD-40 that fit instead of the air freshener and reset the timer. Every 18 hours a "pssst", and a nice cloud of spray settles on everything in there. 40+ guns and twenty years later and zero issues.
Great! I would say animal fat would work too if you sprayed every 18 hours too. Or maybe even the fish oil that WD-40 was wrongly thought to contain for years. Only thing I know of that WD-40 will work on is fishing lures when you want to catch the big one. I have seen this first hand and I was really not a believer but the guy I know that uses it has one several local fishing tournaments so he must have something right I guess.

I used Balistoll in bags wiped heavily on guns which were stored in a leaking unheated attic for over 5 years and had no damage so I know that works for at least that long and by the way it was a similar sort of situation. I never thought of the sealing thing with the bags and I like the idea of that a lot. Bill

·
Registered
19,303 Posts
I found a small can of WD-40 that fit instead of the air freshener and reset the timer. Every 18 hours a "pssst", and a nice cloud of spray settles on everything in there. 40+ guns and twenty years later and zero issues.[/QUOTE ]

If nothing else, you win the award for American Ingenuity if not best actor in a gun comedy of errors. This is the absolute best tale on gun maintenance in my life time. I am truly impressed.

I guess nobody told horseman that WD 40 is highly combustible - especially in the vapor state.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I found a small can of WD-40 that fit instead of the air freshener and reset the timer. Every 18 hours a "pssst", and a nice cloud of spray settles on everything in there. 40+ guns and twenty years later and zero issues.[/QUOTE ]

If nothing else, you win the award for American Ingenuity if not best actor in a gun comedy of errors. This is the absolute best tale on gun maintenance in my life time. I am truly impressed.
hey, all I know for sure is that it works. I was duck hunting a few years back, in the rain, everything was soaked. Got a call that my Ma died, and had to rush home. Put the still wet shotgun in the safe and got on a plane. After I got home, it was another month before I attended to my shotgun. I was expecting some rust, found none. Cleaned it as I normally do, and, again, zero issues. No rust. I'm convinced.

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
I agree, GREAT story!
Who knew you could wake up on a clear May morning and have to wear a red mark on your forehead all day (from slamming your fist against it after reading THAT)?
Does anybody still not know the "WD" in WD40 stands for "water displacement (or maybe displacer?) and the "40" stands for the 40th formula they experimented with before they found the results they wanted?
It works great at two things, it displaces water like a champ and it burns.
If you wash your car's engine at the car wash and get water inside the distributor cap preventing a restart, WD40 sprayed inside the cap followed by wiping out with a paper towel will get the water right out and the engine will start.
The other thing it does well is act as a starting fluid sprayed into the inlet of the fuel induction system (of a gas burning engine).
It burns well enough to fire up a dry fuel system but will not vaporize like spilled gasoline and possibly flash into a dangerous under hood fire..
Lastly, it drys into a gummy residue that could be useful if you are trying to get some moving parts to stick to each other?

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
I would use any oil product over WD40....but those soft cases and socks will wick any protectant from the steel and promote rust. You are in Florida?...ask any gun refinisher how many pitted firearms he sees in a gun sock out of the closet every year.

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
I am sure that the wife knows that he has firearms. Such being the case, the guy only needs to be concerned with short term storage.

That may be the case but I'm betting she doesn't have pics of them and I'm betting she doesn't know what they are. If they are gone they are gone- cie la vie.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts