Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mauser sporter I aquired years ago that has had some nice work done to it, the rifle has:

Bent bolt
Drilled and Tapped
New Barrel
Fiberglass stock

Looks to be on a small ring rcvr ala 1895, has the small oblong gas hole on left side, and square face bolt. What is the easiest way to determine caliber short of a chamber cast? TIA

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Not to be certain, but that sounds like a later year Spanish Mauser, which would be originally 7mm and possibly converted to 7.62 NATO. Maybe start with trying to see how bullets of that size fit into the muzzle. Next you could see if it chambers a 7mm snap cap or live round if you do it at the range.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
sliding test samples into the chamber and checking the bullet in the muzzle are the quickest, you don't need to close the bolt to determine if they fit. But since it is a new barrel- any competent smith woud have marked it. Have you looked at the barrel out of the stock ? Odds are it is in a common caliber - not some 6.95kilroy caliber. if the round seats in the chamber and the muzzle is the correct approximate diameter ( you could actually measure it too) it most likely that caliber. I keep a bag of test rounds in my MG barrel storage area because some barrels are obvious (MG-34, 42, BREN, M60) and some are not (Browning 1919, 1917, Vickers,)

·
Banned
338 Posts
An old friend asks me to clean out his shop that included guns, reloading and smith tools. One of the rifles was a 91 Argentine; I called it a B.M. 7.65 Argentine. He corrected me and said it was a 308W. He was 92; I honestly thought he was confused.

After I had a chance to examine the caliber of the rifles I went back to explain I was wrong; the rifle was a 308 W. I asked him what he used the rifle for. He said it was a loaner meaning when someone came to hunt without a rifle he loaned him the Argentine rifle.

I determined the caliber by chambering rounds into the chamber. I started with the 308W because the 308 W case body/shoulder juncture diameter is .015” larger in diameter then the 30/06 family of chambers. The 308 W rounds chambered.

Not a dilemma but I have never agreed with chambering a small ring Mauser to 308W. I wanted to put the rifle back to 7.65 Argentine so I called friends with parts; one sold me a small ring 7MM57 Mauser for $100 and then gave me the rest of the parts, in that stack were 3 shotgun barrels. And enough parts to build another 91 Argentine Mauser.

A month later my friend died;

F, Guffey

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
A chamber cast.
JoeACTM has it right that they were made as or made into 7x57 or 7.62x51. Any barrel could have been screwed on in any chambering. Trying cartridges til one fits doesn't necessarily mean it is chambered in that cartridge.

A chamber cast is easy and inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You could identify an original barrel by looking at the serial number and inspection marks. Maybe some pictures of the barrel and receiver would be in order.
Can't tell you how many "original" barrels I've seen that weren't still chambered for the original cartridge.

A good many original 1895 Chileno barrels were rebored and sleeved form 7x57 to 7.62x51. Ain't no substitute for doing things right.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Started with a .308 dunny round and the diameter looked OK, would not chamber at all..... Thought for a Second and looked for a 7.62x39 dummy that I could not find. I removed the bolt and dropped alive 7.62x3 round into the chamber and it fit fine. Tried the 7.62x39 case on the bolt face and looks good. SO I believe it is in that caliber. Any definate way to find out?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi,

Started with a .308 dunny round and the diameter looked OK, would not chamber at all..... Thought for a Second and looked for a 7.62x39 dummy that I could not find. I removed the bolt and dropped alive 7.62x3 round into the chamber and it fit fine. Tried the 7.62x39 case on the bolt face and looks good. SO I believe it is in that caliber. Any definate way to find out?
I seriously doubt it's chambered in 7.62x39 ...... whats the actual bore diameter?

It's probably still in 7mm ......shooting a 7.62x39 in that is a good way to turn your rifle into a fragmentation grenade

·
Banned
338 Posts
Started with a .308 dunny round and the diameter looked OK, would not chamber at all..... Thought for a Second and looked for a 7.62x39 dummy that I could not find. I removed the bolt and dropped alive 7.62x3 round into the chamber and it fit fine. Tried the 7.62x39 case on the bolt face and looks good. SO I believe it is in that caliber. Any definite way to find out?
I am one of the few that can case a chamber, the other reloader, collector, shooter lives near the Jersey Shore. There is something wrong with the 7.62X 39. If I were you I would check the diameter of the barrel first.

A shooter was too eager to help a friend with zeroing a scope. He purchased a box of ammo and headed for the range. He chambered one round, pulled the trigger and locked the rifle up. He took the rifle to a North Texas gun smith, the gun smith said he purchased a box of 308W for a 25/06, getting the bullet down the barrel was a workout.

F. Guffey

·
Registered
35 Posts
I picked up a sweet Husqvarna 9000 in 6.5x55. Went shooting and on the first shot peppered my face with debris. Safety glasses are wonderful!! Turns out somebody with a reamer made it a 6.5-284 and didn't re stamp the barrel. I really wanted the x55 , but I will shoot the -284. I have a stamp kit and will fix it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.