Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My caliber question says it all. The 8x54 "Svensk Omborrad Mauser" (known as 8x54 Krag-Jörgensen beyond the border) was quite popular for a few decades in rebarrelled or rebored Mauser rifles. But was it also (ever) chambered as a factory cartridge in any new Husqvarna?

Many thanks,
Carcano

·
Registered
366 Posts
It was never listed in any catalogue, but since the factory was quite happy to take care of special orders, you can't say for sure that it never happened.

But I have never seen one, and it wasn't a standard item.

Pettson

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
1,295 Posts
I agree with Pettson. I have never seen any reference to 8x54, but it could have happened.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Q about Krag-Jörgensens in 8x54

Thanks for your helpful comments, gentlemen. Especially on a day like this, where I could bite everyone in sight, random acts of kindness such as yours are warmly appreciated ;-).

I shall take advantage of your magnanimous mood, and add a second question:
As to the Krag-Jörgensens in 8x54, were all of these just rechamberings, or do I remember correctly that after World War II, a small run of factory-chambered sporter (= hunting) KJs was produced in this caliber, as a substitute / successor for the problematic half-hearted "8x57 moderat" ? And if the latter assumption is correct, can someone tell me a bit more about these guns, e.g. specifications, numbers produced (I do not have access to Hanevik's book)?

Many thanks,
Carcano

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yes, after the war there were two models of KJ jaktgeværer built by Kongsberg Vapenfabrikk designated Elgrifle M/1948 and M/1951. And, 8x54 was available in the M/1948 at least. I believe most of the rifles were chambered for 8x57, but the Norwegian literature can be a little ambiguous because the rifles are often simply referred to as "kaliber 8mm", without specifying which 8mm. I will do some more digging to see if these were rechamberings or were new manufacture. Also, there were private sector gunsmiths who also built 8x54 KJ rifles, but how these were marked and what barrels were used I don't know.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Thanks for your helpful comments, gentlemen. Especially on a day like this, where I could bite everyone in sight, random acts of kindness such as yours are warmly appreciated ;-).

As to the Krag-Jörgensens in 8x54, were all of these just rechamberings, or do I remember correctly that after World War II, a small run of factory-chambered sporter (= hunting) KJs was produced in this caliber, as a substitute / successor for the problematic half-hearted "8x57 moderat" ? And if the latter assumption is correct, can someone tell me a bit more about these guns, e.g. specifications, numbers produced (I do not have access to Hanevik's book)?

Many thanks,
Carcano

·
Registered
49 Posts
hanevik krag jorgensen gevaeret states m48 marked 7.9x57 mauser
built on krag jorgensen laskasse

Many thanks,
Carcano

·
Registered
49 Posts
laskasse carbine which has stronger construction than a regular kj with good shooting charteristics
(if I am Translating correctly)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts