Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was recently corrected, hear on the forum, and I may well be wrong. I am just a hobbyist, I am not a professional in the firearms field, nor am a mauser expert in any way. I don't mean to offend any one, or start an armament, I'm just trying to clear up my understanding of the commercial 98 mauser. It was my understanding that the 1924 was sold at 2 or 3 different price tiers the cheapest looking fairly similar to the military version. and the more expensive ones having sporter stocks, doubleset triggers express sights and like. Assuming I am wrong on this, what was the name or model number of the upper bracket commercial mausers sold hear in the twenty's and thirty's ? A relative of mine has one, my grandfather purchased it in 1928 from a Hudsons department store, in Chicago if I remember correctly. I it was bought new over the counter I have seen the original paperwork for it. It has the 1 extra leaf express sight, double set triggers, and classic European style stock , I thought it even said model 1924 on the side but my memory may be playing tricks on me, I haven't seen it in several years. was the 1924 sold to the public ? Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
Mauser Bolt Rifles by Olson is full of information about Mauser factory sporters.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Nearly anything is possible with commercial Mausers.

The Standard Modell (some marked 1924) was made up in relatively large numbers (certainly by sporting rifle standards) for military sales to foreign countries. However, the Mauser plant folks sometimes used extra parts from military contracts to build sporting rifles and so it would be very possible for a spare 1924 marked receiver to be pulled out of the parts bin and built up into a sporting rifle in an appropriate caliber. Pictures would be very interesting!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.