Gunboards Forums banner

Was the K63 / Type 63a / Type 68 used during the Vietnam War

4K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Cap Camouflage Pattern I 
#1 ·
Hello, I was wondering if anybody had proof (Pictures, documents, even Veteran anecdotes) that the K63 was used by the PAVN during the Vietnam War? Thanks.

#3 ·
#6 ·
Yes, I saw one in 1971 in III Corps. I have a buddy who told me this year, that he had one up in I Corps when he was in CCN. Not a common firearm to be seen but a few were around. I suspect a lot of them were in Laos with Pathet Lao. In the very early years when SKS's were common with NVA, this Type 68 probably was around in smaller numbers. AK's seemed to have flooded into the NVA by 1968 and stayed that way. So...I would never say the Type 68 was a commonly found firearm anytime.

#8 ·
Type 68??? ain't no sich animule...Just a mistranslation of the Markings on the receiver of the TYPE 63 by some CIA Pongo with no knowledge of Chinese.

The Type 63 ( of which I have both Military and "civilianised" Examples) are a FA (Mil) or SA (Civ) short rifle, in 7,62x39, Utilising a 20 round Magazine Patterned on the AK 30 rounder, BUT including a Bolt hold open device on the last round. (AK 30 round mag will fit, if modified to allow for this feature...I do it for Film Guns).

The Gas Regulator allows for Rifle Grenade Use ("on/off"), and it is fitted with a variation of the SKS/AK spike Bayonet. The Bolt is a Modified AK turning design, but not interchangeable.
Top cover is stamped, and rear sight similar to AK. Woodwork similar to SKS (full stock) and with a fibreglass top hand-guard.

On SA, it fires steadier than an SKS and on FA it is better than the AK for controllability. Of course, Magazine cap. is greatly advantaged by converting AK Mags and 75 round Drum mags to fit the T63 Hold open device. BTW, converted mags can still be used in an AK.

AS to Use, whilst some may have been sighted in SVN during the War, they only came into Serious use by the Chinese in the Post-1975 War between China and the DRVN over Boirder disputes in Yunnan Province.
The SVN sighting may have also led to the Mis-naming as "T68" by even some quite serious US Gunwriters, when the Guns identified as "T68"are clearly Marked "T 63" in Chinese characters.

The Misnomer has since perpetuated.

DocAV
Down Under
Supplier for "Long Tan" (Aug 18, 1966). Aussies KIA 19, NVA/VC over 2,000 est.)

#10 ·
I have a photo of what appear to be some Vietnamese at some sort of indoor ceremony. 3 of them are dressed as civilians, two appear to be in uniform. One of the uniformed men is handing or presenting a Type 63 to the other uniformed man. There is a banner in the background written in (I assume) Vietnamese that is only partially legible. The back of the photo has quite a bit of Vietnamese writing. If someone reading this can translate the writing, PM me and I will send a copy.

#12 ·
PAVN is a term used in the early years of the Vietnam war as above Peoples Army of Vietnam. While there in 65 66 I did not see any type 63 rifles captured by First Cav. When in from Field I used to check on Captured stuff. Lots of interesting things. WW2 Korean war US guns, French guns, WW2 German guns, East German sks. one single barrel 12 gage US shotgun

#15 ·
Fella on the left side is carrying a T63. Saigon 1975.
View attachment 3105906

Another. Runner in the middle is carrying a T63. Same very late stage of the war.
View attachment 3106202
Thanks! I've looked at these photos in some detail before but somehow never noticed the K63s! It seems a lot of unusual weapons were used in the fall of Saigon.
View attachment 3117866
I'm straying from my own topic, but this is what I mean with the unusual weapons. PM md 63 on the left, Type 56 with a slab side Ak-47 mag in the middle, and a Vz 58 in the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.