Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A thought just came to me that I've never ever read about a Garand being used against us during WWII. We all know that there were battle field pickups. The SVT40 was picked up and reissued by both the Finns and the Germans during the war. But, I've never read or heard about any Garands falling into the hands of the enemy and reused against us.

Does anyone know about this? If it's true, are there any Garands out there with foreign (enemy) markings that would designate them as true, battle field pickups? I'd say no since the 30.06 was not a caliber that the Germans, Italians, or Japanese could readily obtain while the venerable 7.62 x 54R Russian ammo was pretty prolific.

Any thoughts out there??

Rome

· Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it is interesting. Still, however, no photos of a German using a Garand. I've seen a few of the Germans using the SVT similar to the one on the left. The Garand photo is still elusive, however.

I understand, too, the timing of the war as the last few posters mentioned. That makes perfect sense and that observation alone was worth posting this thread. Cool.

Rome

· Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This has all been a very interesting thread and I do appreciate all the postings to my inquiry.

To refocus some of what has been discussed, the point I was trying to determine was if any US firearms were used against is similar to the way that the SVT40 was reissued and used against the Russians by both the Finns and Germans.

As it turns out, however, there don't seem to be any cases of such a widespread useage. Certainly, as you've all pointed out, everything from rain ponchos to tanks were picked up and used against us many times. But, because of the timing of our entry into the war, none of the Axis forces had the opportunity to pick up, rearsenal, and reissue our own weapons against us in a way similar to the SVT. The numbers were simply not there unlike the opportunities the Germans took when chasing the Russians and overrunning supply depots.

Therefore I won't ever see an "SA" marked Garand or Carbine or anything remotely similar. That's the jist of the what I was trying to ascertain here and you've pretty much confirmed my original opinion that it didn't happen.

Thanks, again guys. This turned into a very interesting thread thanks to your great posts.

Rome

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.