Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i picked up this rifle along with a early lefever shotgun a little while ago and was wondering if it was rearsenaled for ww-2. it,s a eddystone serial number 1130751, bolt,sights and barrel(11-17) are marked with a E, the stock is dark walnut with a P in a box on pistol grip, some small marks in front of the trigger guard i think 339 and the left side of the stock has arsenal marks- pictures. all in all a good solid rifle with a very good bore. thanks for any info. eastbank.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
AAB: Augusta Arsenal (B presumed to be Inspector mark)
SSA S :San Antonio Arsernal (boxed S presumed to be Inspector mark)
RA: Raritan Arsenal

Receiver serial number and barrel dates are consistent with other known specimens in that serial/date range.

Seen a lot of arsenals apparently.

My $0.02

HTH

·
Copper Bullet member
2,514 Posts
Yes, more than once. Note that this doesn't mean that anything in particular was done to it. If the rifle was in otherwise good condition it might simply be cleaned and inspected.
With an 11-17 barrel date, your rifle would have stayed stateside in WW1. Only rifles with 1918 barrel dates were approved for overseas service, that being when an adequate degree of interchangeably was deemed to exist between manufacturers.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I thought with that serial number an original barrel would have had a later date around Summer 1918.

It could of had little done to it. I had an Eddystone in the 114xxxx range with a Fall 1918 barrel. The gun was in excellent condition with an Elmer Keith rebuild mark on it. But the gun looked original like it had never been rearsenaled.

Nice rifle, by the way. They are solid excellent shooters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.