1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Silver Bullet Member
802 Posts
Happened to me too when I ordered my TT-33. My bank caught it and stopped it also. I reported it to Wideners. The transactions were from Facebook and Netflix. I normally use Smartswipe to prevent this but their software only works with Firefox on Windows 8.1. I now have Firefox installed and try to use this exclusively when ordering. I do believe however that I had phoned in that order, not used the online ordering system.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Same here. Master Card rep. called me this past Tuesday and told me unusual charges totaling $1800 were attempted on my card........$140 from a nail salon, $780 of misc. computer products, and a couple of other items, all in one days time. Card cancelled immediately. I was wondering where this may have happened from, I don't use the card often.

·
Registered
19,319 Posts
Gents, technology has gotten too wonderful and the last thing I will do is put any credit card info
on internet to purchase something. Once you SEND, you lost control. Money order and a stamp:
low tech but its far better than grief of credit cards and the hackers that lurk to mess you up.

If the government can't keep things secure from hackers, how can you expect security of a credit card
transaction on internet?

I know what I just wrote is inconvenient and against the cultural norm of digital fascination but... nothing
is secure on internet. How fast you learn that lesson is something to ponder about

·
Gold Bullet Member
885 Posts
Money order and a stamp:
low tech but its far better than grief of credit cards and the hackers that lurk to mess you up.
Credit card information can be stolen in many ways, not just when entering information during online purchases and we don't know what happened in this case.

The only way to avoid credit card fraud is to not use credit cards. Everyone has a choice - I use them all the time and have had several bogus charges on my card over the years but never lost a cent. I do see, however, many online discussions of money lost when using money orders or postal money orders because the product they purchased is never shipped to them, or it's different from what they ordered. In those cases the funds are almost never recovered.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I made purchases from Wideners in Nov, Dec, and again a couple weeks ago. Last week my card issuer informed me that someone tried to make a purchase from Walmart that triggered a fraud alert. They'd also first done a dollar-something charge, to test it I suppose. Had wondered where the breach is, and now see folks on a number of sites are noting Wideners as the common denominator. If their customer database was breached, there is also a chance the intruders got hold of the driver license info of those who've bought ammo.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
This is nothing new. I have had this problem for years when ordering parts or ammo.

My solution was to buy re loadable debit cards. Most stores have them.

You can load the card with any amount to cover online purchases and use the debit card.

Outfits like Netspend also have online sites, so you can track your transactions and spot unusual activity.

If it is hacked, not much of a problem and you lose a few bucks at most if you keep your balance just over the amount you purchase.

The M.O. is always the same, hackers make a small purchase for a few bucks to see if the card works, then charge a larger item or items.

This type of I.D. theft is very common and the easiest to solve. There are other more sinister things going on with I.D. theft.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,552 Posts
Wideners has always worked ok for me.
But there is a difference, I call them and give my card information over the phone, and I always note exactly who I talked with.
Never had a problem doing so with any on line dealer.
Also, I do not ever enter card information or any personal information on line.

Gregg

·
Administrator
7,415 Posts
... I use them all the time and have had several bogus charges on my card over the years but never lost a cent...
Me too. I used my card at the Dubai airport and someone tried to use the info to purchase something. The card was automatically cancelled and I received a new one in a few days - I didn't have to do a thing. I've never lost money with cards and they do provide you with transaction protection. That's just my preference.

·
Administrator
61,319 Posts
Looks like just the few peeps in this thread were affected. :rolleyes:

"At this point, we believe we have identified only a few customers who were affected by the incident"

·
Silver Bullet member
775 Posts
Doubt it was a employee, most likely their database was hacked, phone orders are still entered.
Not a big deal, check your statements closely, you have protection, won't cost a dime.
I do keep one card that is the only one I use on the internet. But still had to replace my main cc due to target.
Can't beat CC's if you pay off your balance, free finance and cash back!
I'll never own a debit card.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
if i ordered alot on the net, i still would not agree with you. but i don,t and only order when i can,t get it locally. i also know i will never lose more than 5.00,no matter how many times it is hacked.and one call to the bank and i have another one with out any problems at all. eastbank.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts