Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: I had nothing to do with the modification of that rifle!!!!!!!!! It was done in Finland by a professional gunsmith some time back, possibly when surplusrifles were as cheap as dirt.

There are two souls in me, one is crying because of the murdered early 1935 m/28-30 and the other is jumping in joy because of a nice shooter.
The rifle was a fully matching, never arsenal rebuilt m/28-30 made in early 1935. The frontsightears do not have the 8 points around the left screw, rearsightbase is numbered.
Stock came from an earlier CG rifles, has big S and number on the butt stock right.
The chamber was not modified for the D166 bullet, so a finnish D cartridge can NOT be chambered. Barrel is in like new condition, and tight, slugged at .309".
Barrel has the aluminium tubing for free floating installed.

Now for the modifications:
A sidemount was screwed&soldered to the left side of the receiver. The mount was made by Oulun Asepaja and also the istalled there. Bolthandle was also modified to allow scope mounting, it is OA stamped. Stock inletted nicely for mount and bolt handle.
Stock has some kind of varnish finnish on it, maybe I will remove that later.

Tomorrow I will go out and try it at the range, using my last Lapua Match cartridges with D47 bullet, exacly the ammo, the rifle was made for.

Chris

· Gold Bullet Member
10,013 Posts
I would have bought it - Sure I appreciate them w/o the mods, but it has been done & it looks tasteful.....plus if it is really accurate....BTW - My old 28-30 has remnants of an old varnish type finish. I would have bought it.

Pahtu.

· Admin Emeritus
19,074 Posts
OMG! Why would you do that to such a fine rifle! :(

No Christmas for you.

· Admin Emeritus
19,074 Posts
Don't worry Chris, also the Defence Forces bubba'd these. This 1939 m/28-30 is powered by SVT scope and H-E-A-V-I-L-Y modified mount. A picture from Arma Fennica II.
Yes but they only did it one or two as trials in the 1950's. Chris makes those by the dozen!

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
..........still have 7 left, who wants one????
Sorry Vic, the converted SIGs and Tikkas are already out.
:)))))))

· Registered
1,008 Posts
I bet it shoots like a dream! :D I wouldn't pass on it. It's just another part of the rifles history and expertly done. Not a Bubba job at all.

· Registered
504 Posts
I bet it shoots like a dream! :D I wouldn't pass on it. It's just another part of the rifles history and expertly done. Not a Bubba job at all.
Right on. That is a sporter job so old and well-done, it has its own aura of coolness. I bet it shoots out the lights. And FWIW I would not worry one bit about the shellac were it my rifle.

· Registered
379 Posts
I've gotta say that is the first "bubba" rifle that i actually like the look of. It almost looks like it could be authentic!

I definitly would have bought it and shot it with pride on every range trip, that's for sure.

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, now for more pics of the bolt:

To answer the question how it shoots:

I will try to find an older scope with fixed magnification to put on it, the 3-9x40 looks out of place there.

Next thing to do is a triggerjob, the let off must be come down somehwhat, 3..4lb has to be reached.

Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.