Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a single shot Montgomery Ward Hercules 410 that sometimes fires without pulling the trigger. I would like to tear it apart to look for wear, but want to see if there are available parts before bothering. Does anyone know the manufacturer or have any info that might help in my search? The Markings are: "Hercules Montgomery Ward & co", "proof tested 410 guage 3" ", and "selected forged steel".

Thanks for the help.
Wood Twig Road surface Plant Asphalt
Wood Gas Bumper Grille Automotive exterior
Bicycle part Tool Auto part Metal Font
Wood Bicycle part Automotive exterior Metal Bicycle handlebar
Wood Gadget Metal Font Bumper

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have a Bridge Gun Company .410 that looks exactly like that, could be a Bridge, I believe they made them for a variety of hardware stores etc.

·
Registered
898 Posts
The hammer falls from the cocked position w/o pulling the trigger?
Or the gun fires as soon as you close the breech?

Not sure who mfg'rd the gun but
I think it's a Stevens Model 94 made for Montgomery Wards as MW posted.
Wards sold the guns under their 'House Brand' of Hercules.

Iver Johnson did use the 'Hercules' name as a Model designation on a series of SxS shotguns they made.
I don't recall them using the Hercules model or name on their single shot,,but I could be wrong.

Parts for either should be available. Likely built on the 20ga action either mfg'r.

The trigger sear tip may be broken off. Or the sear edge on the hammer damaged and rounded over so the sear engagement with the trigger does not hold.
Could be plain gunk in the sear edge slot on the hammer that does not allow the trigger sear tip to enage and hold it.

Weak or non-existant sear spring

Quite a few things can cause the hammer dropping from full cock w/o touching the trigger..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses guys!

The hammer drops without pulling the trigger. I originally thought it was an iver Johnson myself, but it looked off at first glance when I checked Numrich. One of my life's mottos has always been, "when in doubt, ask smart people", so I stopped by here. I don't post much, but love to read the threads here on old guns.

I'll compare it to the Stevens and the Iver more closely tonight and get back to you. Thanks again!

·
Registered
256 Posts
The “Proof Tested XX Gauge” is the same font style and spacing used on J Stevens Arms shotguns starting in the 1940s.

I have a Bridge Gun Company .410 that looks exactly like that, could be a Bridge, I believe they made them for a variety of hardware stores etc.
Cthulu,
Bridge Gun Co is a trade brand name used on guns made for Shapleigh Hardware Company of St. Louis, MO. and made by Crescent Fire Arms Company, Harrington and Richardson Arms Company, and J. Stevens Arms Company.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You have to go by the gun’s features and match them to known Crescent, H&R and Stevens designs. You could post a new topic here and see what people think, Two Old Dogs over at Gun Values Board is also an excellent resource on these types of guns.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to apologize guys. Right after i posted this, i took ill and have been bedridden for most of this last month. I did start to look into your recommendations before that happened though.

Looking through some online pictures, it does look like a Stevens, but doesn't seem to match the model 94. Im gonna be busy catching up on work for a bit since i was down for a month, but I'll get back to this ASAP and let you know what i find.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts