Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a gun/pawn shop found a Winchester 94 with serial number 1,3XX,XXX. . It is obviously a pre-64, in excellent shape, is in WCF 30 caliber and has a saddle ring on the receiver. Oddly to me it has a musket type steel semi-crescent but plate where a tab rolls over on the top and has a retaining screw visible from the top. It seems (by serial number) to have been made during the war or right after. Anyone have an idea of its value, or any other identifying characteristics I should look for?

Thanks, Les

·
Registered
33 Posts
Without any pictures to go off of, a wartime production or pre-war production Winchester 94 could be between $900 and $1200. It sounds like the example you found is a carbine and may be a pre-war manufacture due to the saddle ring and crescent butt plate vice flat butt plate. But if you have pictures, that would help ID the rifle.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I concur absolutely with photos! Simply too easy to misconstrue terms as misstated, misunderstood, ambiguous or combo of...! Moreover, missing the bonus of having experts evaluate the entire gun with possible yield of relevant information unquestioned!
Exemplary of ambiguity, right here. In context of the term "crescent", don't read-in a "carbine butt" as suggested above. The Carbine style was phased out 'about' 1938 and even then, such carbines termed "transition" as accompanied by the newer ramp style front sight. I know this because I've researched the combo in respect to owning one and on-point scholarly discussion available.
I also do understand the WWII years were something of a mixed bag. I'm with a 94 carbine in the 1,4xx,xxx serial range; actual mfg of Oct 45! Such, as recently learning it's with incorrect, yet later style butt plate! 'But' :), in 25-35 Win, I'm still delighted!
I am absolutely not any Winchester Model 1894/94 expert. But a lot of years observation & readings, understanding a lot of factory variants. Yet more, with the multi-millions manufactured for well over a century, "non-factory original seeming more common that 'factory'. Even as I was actively collecting, the idea of paying "collector" prices involved playing with the big boys. Paying prices in my 'cool' factor range, almost always worked well.
Well, moving to 'old man' rant here! :)
Best & Stay Safe!
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.