Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The helmets are Russian WWII, methinks this must be somewhere in Russia. I've seen one or two of the picks before.
BRGDS, A

·
Gold Bullet member
11,647 Posts
That's awesome. The mortar shell and grenade are captivating. The Maxim is just downright cool.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
These pictures came across Reddit the other day, and they are quite neat. The helmet pics are confusing, from a practical stand point. Trees grow from the top, so it seems like the helmets had holes in them, and ended up on top of young trees, which then grew around them. The Maxim is beyond strange. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
I had this friend (may God have his soul) that once proposed to give me a cigar box full of schrapnel that came out of the trees of the Bulge area and his uncle (the saw mill owner) had to install some sort of metal detector to safe his saw blades. I had the stupidity to refuse that free offer. Not for myself but the loss of things that may have been interesting to collectors. I may have become somewhat wiser but realize that the "finds" of yesteryear are becoming rather rare. I'm not one of you collectors ... but, more and more, can understand what drives you.

·
Registered
126 Posts
While in the military, I had been metal detecting in an area in the woods near the town of Bausendorf, W. Germany where I was staying. One day, it finally dawned on me to check the older trees around the craters. The trees were full of shrapnel at ground level and a couple of feet above. I didn't try to remove any of it, but it was interesting to note that it was there. Mike

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Stationed in Pruem, Germany, 1977 to 1982, USAF. It was a huge fine if anyone was caught metal detecting!

One afternoon, I heard a loud explosion just outside the perimeter of my Air Station, at 2,812 foot elevation.

A forest deer had stepped on a WWII land mine, about 20 feet outside my perimeter fence. There was nothing to see.

We were prohibited from walking in the woods, at any time, before this incident. This re-enforced it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If metal detecting was not allowed where I was at, I didn't know about it. I bought my metal detector at Spangdahlem, AFB for about $40. I actually found several german anti-personell mines while digging. I still wonder about how lucky I was...about not getting blown-up. You would have had to drag me away kicking and screaming I was having so much fun finding stuff. Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts