Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching the PBS show "War" I saw at least 3 K98's that had the bolt handle on the left side of the rifle. Is there such a thing or was the film reversed?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Watching the PBS show "War" I saw at least 3 K98's that had the bolt handle on the left side of the rifle. Is there such a thing or was the film reversed?
Sometimes you will also see on other programs, Wehrmacht Soldiers with the Breast Eagle on the wrong side as well as SS with the eagle patch on the arm also on the wrong side. Also in magazines-Guns and Ammo in the Surplus Issues that come out on that cheap black and white newsprint from about 10 years ago. The negative or film was reversed.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Many of the movies shot were easily reversed, what with film being run from spool to spool quite often, people threading it incorrectly, and a print made from an incorrectly oriented filmstrip.

Same happened often with photos, especially color, as color back then was usually shot on slide film.

If a slide was mounted, then the exposure number at the bottom of the negative was obscured, and easy to print a color slide backwards.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I saw that last night. To me, clearly the film was put in reversed. There were two K98's in that shot with both showing the "left" bolt. Reversed film.

CDFingers

·
48,490 Posts
I saw it too and was wondering the same thing about film reversal. Couldn't imagine making a special production run to accomodate lefties especialy during war time.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,122 Posts
My wife called me a nut and rolled her eyes when I saw and mentioned it.

Reminds me of the famous pic of Billy the Kid, revolver butt to the rear on his left hip, "proving" that he was a lefty. Books and movies were made about this famous southpaw. All's well until you look at the Winchester he's holding and notice that its loading gate is on the left side of the receiver!

Ooops.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I saw one of the lefties on the film tonight; it was close-up of a sniper with optics. At first, I didn't know what I was looking at. Then I realized it was the bolt handle on the left side.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I watched quite a bit of it Sunday...lots of reversed film throughout the series. Saw some Garands that were left handed as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Reversed Image

I saw one of the lefties on the film tonight; it was close-up of a sniper with optics.
Lots of left handed people in Renaissance paintings too. Many people think the "master" painters (Rembrandt, Ingres, Titian, etc) were using light projectors to at least trace the outlines of the models they were painting.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
im a south paw and would have loved to see one! but no. AND...... i heard mauser rumor controll say that they made leftys shoot right handed!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts